+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you enter canada with a Valid work permit and an expired VISA by air???

Stefanovic

Oct 6, 2015
I am travelling to California and I want to know if I can enter canada with an expired visa but valid canadian visa?? I was just approved and have no time to apply for the visa right now.

Your reply will be highly appreciated.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
[/quote]
Stefanovic said:
I am travelling to California and I want to know if I can enter canada with an expired visa but valid canadian visa?? I was just approved and have no time to apply for the visa right now.

Your reply will be highly appreciated.

Of course you can enter Canada if you have a valid Canadian visa.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

henryphan said:
No, you can't. WP is used to work in Canada only. So u ll have to apply for a visa

Incorrect. OP can enter Canada from US on an expired visa provided he is traveling only to US and returning back before the expiry of permit.

Stefanovic

Oct 6, 2015
J5M said:
Hi,

Incorrect. OP can enter Canada from US on an expired visa provided he is traveling only to US and returning back before the expiry of permit.
Thank for the reply. I also called CIC and checked, this is the reply they sent. I think it should be ok.

Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:

Re-entry to Canada as a Temporary Resident - Required documents

To return to Canada, you must have a valid passport or travel document*. You also need to have a valid study or work permit if you are returning to study or work in Canada. If you are from a country whose citizens need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to travel to Canada, you will also need a valid TRV to return, unless:

You are returning to Canada after a visit only to the United States** or St-Pierre and Miquelon ; and

You return before your status as a visitor, student or worker expires or any extension to it.

Please note that we cannot guarantee your re-entry to Canada. An officer will ask you questions to see if you meet all of the requirements before allowing you to come back to Canada.

henryphan

Star Member
Aug 12, 2014
J5M said:
Hi,

Sr I forgot he/she traveled to US. It s a special case. My bad...

Capaneo

Oct 23, 2014
The answer is a clear "no", UNLESS, you are one of the two exceptions: U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon

Make sure to have a copy of this page of CIC website with yourself if you are traveling by air, because when you are traveling by air the airline workers at the counter in USA most likely will not know the rules and you have to explain it to them so they let you board the plane.

Another note is that you should not have visited any other country during that travel. (ex: You can't take a quick trip to Mexico while in USA)

cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=527&t=16

Stefanovic

Oct 6, 2015
Capaneo said:
The answer is a clear "no", UNLESS, you are one of the two exceptions: U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon

Make sure to have a copy of this page of CIC website with yourself if you are traveling by air, because when you are traveling by air the airline workers at the counter in USA most likely will not know the rules and you have to explain it to them so they let you board the plane.

Another note is that you should not have visited any other country during that travel. (ex: You can't take a quick trip to Mexico while in USA)

cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=527&t=16

Thanks Capaneo, I called CIC as well, you are right about going only to the US and back - not any other country. I am carrying the email, CIC sent me as well which I have taken a printout just in case they stop to question. I have researched this quite a bit too and found it on the Justice Laws as well for immigration and refugee act.
(2) A foreign national is exempt from
the requirement to obtain a temporary resident
visa if they

(f) to re-enter Canada following a visit
solely to the United States or St. Pierre
and Miquelon, if they
(i) held a study permit or a work permit
that was issued before they left
Canada on such a visit or were authorized
to enter and remain in Canada as
a temporary resident, and
(ii) return to Canada by the end of the
period initially authorized for their
stay or any extension to it;

In respect to the above, it should be good to travel only to the US with an expired Visa