+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we get Health Card (Ontario) if the PR card is expiring in April 2024?

asamad88

Star Member
Sep 14, 2022
My parents will be arriving toronto in the month of october and will apply for health card. will they have any trouble applying for health card?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
My parents will be arriving toronto in the month of october and will apply for health card. will they have any trouble applying for health card?
It has nothing to do with when the PR card is expiring but it appears that they have brought back the 3 month waiting period for new comers to ON. Are they PR's, how long have they been out of Ontario? They have to meet the ON residency requirements for their OHIP to continue when they return. If not they should have travel insurance for the 3 month waiting period for any emergencies..

https://www.ontario.ca/document/resources-for-physicians/registration-of-ontario-health-insurance-coverage

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It has nothing to do with when the PR card is expiring but it appears that they have brought back the 3 month waiting period for new comers to ON. Are they PR's, how long have they been out of Ontario? They have to meet the ON residency requirements for their OHIP to continue when they return. If not they should have travel insurance for the 3 month waiting period for any emergencies..

https://www.ontario.ca/document/resources-for-physicians/registration-of-ontario-health-insurance-coverage
Think 3 month waiting period is still not back. Having a valid PR card is necessary to apply for OHIP although landing documents in the first year can also be used.

Reactions: Canada2020eh

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did they ever apply for OHIP cards and if they did they meet the residency requirement t
I qualify for OHIP? They can apply for an OHIP if they still have a valid PR card and if they know they will be meeting the residency requirement to qualify for OHIP so will be in Ontario for 5 out of the next 6 months, 6 out of the next 12 months and make Ontario their primary home. They should verify that the 3 month waiting period hasn’t returned before they arrive. If it has returned they should apply for private insurance. If they don’t plan on meeting the OHIP residency requirement they should also take out private insurance

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Think 3 month waiting period is still not back. Having a valid PR card is necessary to apply for OHIP although landing documents in the first year can also be used.
You are right, still no waiting period. Guess I didn't fully read what was in the link I provided.