+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can there be a gap of a year between obtaining a PR (under PNP) and a permanent move?

lukagracia

Feb 21, 2021
Hi, I have an active profile on CIC which qualifies Federal Workers Program. A couple days ago I received a notification on my CIC mailbox that; "Ontario would like to consider you under their Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)".

Now here's my query, I'm fine with going ahead with the PNP nomination and can wait until I have ITA with me and eventually have the passport get an immigrant visa but I'm currently based in India and I have some commitments here that I'd like to fulfil before I move out for a long term, and that would mean that I'd need to be in India at least until end of 2022. Now assuming that I get the ITA by 2nd half of this year and eventually get my passport prepared for my immigration visa, would it be okay if I go and stay in Toronto (Ontario) for 1 or 2 months until I get the PR card and then return back in India and then move to Ontario for good after the end of 2022 once my commitments here in India are sorted?

Please note that I don't mind staying in Ontario for the long term once I move there for good but I can't do it before 2023, and at the same time, I don't want to miss the PNP opportunity that I have received. I'm also aware that PR has a validity of 5 years where one has to stay for at least 2 years to maintain PR status, but the situation I have is that I cannot move to Ontario immediately for the long term, I can go for a month or two and get the PR and return back, so is that okay with PNP involved?