+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my spouse work while waiting for the SOWP extension?

JimmyFans

Jul 13, 2023
Hi there, thanks in advance to everyone for taking the time to read my question and helping me out, it means so much to me.

My PGWP will expire soon and my spouse's SOWP has the same expiration date. I am planning to apply for EE and I have been doing a NOC B job for one year. So my questions are:

1. Can we apply for the BOWP (bridging open work permit) and SOWP extension together?
2. If yes, can my spouse work while waiting for the SOWP extension? I know that the answer is NO before the first SOWP result came out. But how about an extension?

Thanks, looking forward to your response!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there, thanks in advance to everyone for taking the time to read my question and helping me out, it means so much to me.

My PGWP will expire soon and my spouse's SOWP has the same expiration date. I am planning to apply for EE and I have been doing a NOC B job for one year. So my questions are:

1. Can we apply for the BOWP (bridging open work permit) and SOWP extension together?
2. If yes, can my spouse work while waiting for the SOWP extension? I know that the answer is NO before the first SOWP result came out. But how about an extension?

Thanks, looking forward to your response!
Can you clarify if you've already received ITA? Is that what you mean by "planning to apply for EE" - that you've received ITA and are going to submit your application soon? Or are you just at the point of submitting your profile into the EE pool?

JimmyFans

Jul 13, 2023
Thanks for your reply. I did not start anything and I plan to submit my profile into the EE pool. I think I can get AOR before my PGWP expires.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your reply. I did not start anything and I plan to submit my profile into the EE pool. I think I can get AOR before my PGWP expires.
OK - got it. Hopefully you are aware of how the draws have recently changed.

Yes, you would need AOR in order to apply for a BOWP. So you need to enter the pool, get ITA and then submit your application and get AOR before your PGWP expires.

Your spouse can apply for the SOWP in parallel. Make sure to include proof you have a NOC B job. Your spouse will have implied status and can continue working as long as the extension is received by IRCC before the current SOWP expires.