+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my Son apply for Study Permit (as International Student) if he has expired PR Card

Tessar

Apr 2, 2018
Me and my family has got expired PR card and have not stayed in Canada as per residency requirements. Can my Son apply for Study Permit as international student ?
If me and my family enter by road from US then what is the process.
Need advice urgently Please.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Me and my family has got expired PR card and have not stayed in Canada as per residency requirements. Can my Son apply for Study Permit as international student ?
If me and my family enter by road from US then what is the process.
Need advice urgently Please.
Simple answer, no. A Canadian PR can't hold a visa or a work/study permit.

Tessar

Apr 2, 2018
Tell him to renounce his PR status first.
Thanks Steaky for your response. Noted that he must renounce his PR status to apply for Student Permit however upon completion of his University in 4 years, Can he again apply for PR ?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Then what is the other option. he has already received Admission acceptance from couple of good universities.
See above. Renounce PR status and apply as a foreign student, or attempt to legally enter Canada without being reported for non-compliance with the residency obligation requirements.

Tessar

Apr 2, 2018
See above. Renounce PR status and apply as a foreign student, or attempt to legally enter Canada without being reported for non-compliance with the residency obligation requirements.
Thanks for your reply. just if you can please elaborate on "attempt to legally enter Canada without being reported for non-compliance with the residency obligation requirements" How can he do this and what document will he provide to the University who has accepted him as an international student

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for your reply. just if you can please elaborate on "attempt to legally enter Canada without being reported for non-compliance with the residency obligation requirements" How can he do this and what document will he provide to the University who has accepted him as an international student
He will have to apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document from the visa office covering the area that he is living in, or cross the land border between the USA and Canada without CBSA reporting him and starting the process of revoking his PR status.

Applying to educational institutions was premature. You need to sort out his status in Canada first.