+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my boyfriend stay with me outside canada

Tishya77

Sep 10, 2009
My boyfriend is coming to marry me because my student permit finished and we want be toguether. Can He stay with my for a while the process is finished or he need to go back to Canada to sponsor me?

How long it can take?

Cdnshaz

May 15, 2008
How about a few more details
Is he canadian citizen or PR?
what country are you in?
Where you getting married?

If he is citizen then yes he can stay in your country and sponsor you, if he is PR he can't, he must be in Canada

Tishya77

Sep 10, 2009
Cdnshaz said:
How about a few more details
Is he canadian citizen or PR?
what country are you in?
Where you getting married?

If he is citizen then yes he can stay in your country and sponsor you, if he is PR he can't, he must be in Canada

Thank you for ur answer.
In Mexico, he is PR. So, he mus be working in Canada after we get married?

My suggestion is to assess, prepare and file your joint sponsorship/permanent resident application with immigration authorities, receive your future husband's approval for sponsorship and then make your travel plans. It may take between nine and twelve months, in some cases even longer. You can check this info at CIC website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he is a PR, he needs to be living in Canada to sponsor you. Approving the sponsor takes right now 38 days, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship and then the file goes to Mexico City and takes on average 6 months there, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp#west He might be able to sneak over for a short visit in the meantime but if immigration gets the feeling that he's living in Mexico at the moment, that's no good news for your application.

Tishya77

Sep 10, 2009
Thank you

So..thats mean that he just can came over to get married and the he should go back to Canada?

He can travel one or two times in all this time or he must be in Canada?

Tishya77

Sep 10, 2009
Tishya77 said:
Thank you

So..thats mean that he just can came over to get married and the he should go back to Canada?

He can travel one or two times in all this time or he must be in Canada?
Thank you

He can travel one or two times in all this time or he must be in Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are no set guidelines for exactly how many times or for how long he can leave Canada while his sponsorship is in progress. He just needs to be living in Canada. It might be a good idea for him when he gets to Canada to file the sponsorship to call CIC and ask. If it was me, I would not risk leaving for more than a couple of weeks and I would have somebody going over to check my mail and answering machine every day in case they try to get in touch. It's also better that he stays until they are done with the part to approve him as your sponsor (38 days currently).

Tishya77

Sep 10, 2009
Leon said:
There are no set guidelines for exactly how many times or for how long he can leave Canada while his sponsorship is in progress. He just needs to be living in Canada. It might be a good idea for him when he gets to Canada to file the sponsorship to call CIC and ask. If it was me, I would not risk leaving for more than a couple of weeks and I would have somebody going over to check my mail and answering machine every day in case they try to get in touch. It's also better that he stays until they are done with the part to approve him as your sponsor (38 days currently).
Let me understand, just for 38 days he must be on Canada?

Are there a time to apply for the sponshorship? I mean, if he stay here couple of months and then he go back to Canada, he can start the sponsorhip process until the day he arrive to Canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I never said that it would be safe for him to leave after the 38 days. Just that he should at least stay that long before risking a short vacation. If CIC were to contact him, it's more likely that they will do it while they are working on approving him as a sponsor (the part that takes on average 38 days). I do not know what CIC policy is on a PR who is sponsoring a spouse and happens to not be in Canada when they try to contact him. That is why I said he should call CIC and ask if it's ok for him to leave and for how long.

He can not start sponsorship from outside Canada because he is a PR and needs to be residing in Canada to sponsor.

Tishya77

Sep 10, 2009
Leon said:
I never said that it would be safe for him to leave after the 38 days. Just that he should at least stay that long before risking a short vacation. If CIC were to contact him, it's more likely that they will do it while they are working on approving him as a sponsor (the part that takes on average 38 days). I do not know what CIC policy is on a PR who is sponsoring a spouse and happens to not be in Canada when they try to contact him. That is why I said he should call CIC and ask if it's ok for him to leave and for how long.

He can not start sponsorship from outside Canada because he is a PR and needs to be residing in Canada to sponsor.
Thank you =)