+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I work full time and taking courses part time during summer?

blackmenthol

Jul 12, 2018
Hi there,

I tried to research this myself but I could not find definite answer. I'm on my third year of bachelor study. I'm planning to take 2 courses online during summer (scheduled breaks). My question is, can I work full time during my summer period? (May-August)

Also, is it possible if the full time work is consider as practicum/coop? (counts as 6 credits) and taking 2 courses in the summer?

(I do have my coop work permit)

Thank you in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

I tried to research this myself but I could not find definite answer. I'm on my third year of bachelor study. I'm planning to take 2 courses online during summer (scheduled breaks). My question is, can I work full time during my summer period? (May-August)

Also, is it possible if the full time work is consider as practicum/coop? (counts as 6 credits) and taking 2 courses in the summer?

(I do have my coop work permit)

Thank you in advance!
Believe you are either on a scheduled break and can work full-time or you can take courses and working 20 hours per week. You should be studying full-time if it isn't your last semester. Summer semester is usually May/June so maybe 2 courses is considered full-time. You need to verify with your school. You will need to speak to your program advisor as to what woud be considered co-op. Employers usually need to be vetted to qualify as a co-op placement. Summer semester tend to finish in Late June/July and so you could work for the rest of the scheduled. Again would contact your international school coordinator

noelvictoria

Mar 24, 2019
Hi Noel,

Thanks for the reply, but what if I'm taking 2 courses (which count as part-time study) during summer and working full time also?
Better to check with your school advisor. As far as I know, if you're taking courses, you're not on scheduled break and should only be working part time.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
Good job finding the answer. As a bit of advice, I'd suggest that you find a way to document that it is a regularly scheduled break, in case an officer ever asks. Keep that documentation somewhere safe, like dropbox.

Being part time should be a sign that it was a scheduled break, but it's good to keep the documentation in case an officer ever questions your actions in future applications.

blackmenthol

Jul 12, 2018
Good job finding the answer. As a bit of advice, I'd suggest that you find a way to document that it is a regularly scheduled break, in case an officer ever asks. Keep that documentation somewhere safe, like dropbox.

Being part time should be a sign that it was a scheduled break, but it's good to keep the documentation in case an officer ever questions your actions in future applications.
Thanks for your advice!
I appreciate it.

elisanoble

Apr 30, 2024
Hey did you figure this out yet? I have the same issue. Summer term is my final term and I graduate in October. I want to take just one course in summer (my last course before graduation) and still work full time. I know IRCC says this is fine for study permit holders like myself during scheduled breaks but I am not returning to school in the fall and I am taking a course. will this affect PGWP when I try to apply?

DaviaZayn

Jun 10, 2022
Of
Hey did you figure this out yet? I have the same issue. Summer term is my final term and I graduate in October. I want to take just one course in summer (my last course before graduation) and still work full time. I know IRCC says this is fine for study permit holders like myself during scheduled breaks but I am not returning to school in the fall and I am taking a course. will this affect PGWP when I try to apply?
Hey if it’s your final semester you can study part time and work fulltime

elisanoble

Apr 30, 2024
Of

Hey if it’s your final semester you can study part time and work fulltime
Hi @DaviaZayn thanks so much for your response!! some people have told me I can and others say I can’t. so I can’t be sure till I hear it from someone who has experienced this firsthand. If you don’t mind me asking, do you have personal experience with this or know somebody who has?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi @DaviaZayn thanks so much for your response!! some people have told me I can and others say I can’t. so I can’t be sure till I hear it from someone who has experienced this firsthand. If you don’t mind me asking, do you have personal experience with this or know somebody who has?
If you are going to summer term then that is not a scheduled break if you have to take a class to graduate.

akalanka1988

Nov 15, 2023
Hi ; I am in the same situation. Did u hear anything from anyone who’s has experienced this before ?

rizygAsc

Apr 26, 2024
You can not work full time as long as university session is going. I mean if university semester is on going then you can not work full time. Only when university holidays are on, then you can work full time.

Does not matter if you are doing online or offline. Rules are clear that only during semester breaks you can work full time.