+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I travel outside of Canada while waiting for immigration?

turtleujin

Apr 21, 2011
Hi, i'm curretly waiting for my immigration to go through. I applied for CEC and family sponsorship as well. Do you know if I can still travel outside of Canada while waiting for immigration? I have a visitor permit at the moment.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With CEC, you shouldn't have any problems travelling. You can even move outside Canada and your CEC will still continue to be processed. Just make sure that immigration has your address or that somebody is checking your mail so you don't miss any attempts to contact you.

turtleujin

Apr 21, 2011
Hi! thank you for your reply. When I called CIC call centre today, the call centre agent told me I shouldn't travel because I'm inland applicant (i applied for CEC and family sponsorship immigration as well) but when I asked my immigration agent, she told me it should be okay to travel. Do you think it's okay to travel while waiting for immgration? I'm thinking to travel to U.S. couple times (By driving) and the Europe for honeymoon. I will always travel with my husband who is canadian...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So now it gets complicated. You have a Canadian husband and you applied under CEC and at the same time for inland spousal sponsorship?

If you are applying inland, one of the criteria for your application to go forward is that you are living in Canada. If you were for any reason denied entry back to Canada, that application would be gone. The CEC would still continue though.

turtleujin

Apr 21, 2011
Yeah.. it's complicated.. I applied for CEC back in 2009 DECEMBER. Got the file number in FEB 2010 AND the file got transferred to Seattle in MAR 2010. However, I haven't heard anything since then. It's been more than their average processing time (11months). At that time, I wasn't married..

I got married Feb 2011 and we applied for family sponsorship immgration as well because we thought this might go through faster than CEC. We just wanted to try everything...

Now, we are planning to go to Europe for honeymoon but I heard inland applicant is not allowed to travel outside of canada :(

Do you have any clue why my CEC is taking so long?

I heard a lot of other people who were inland applicants have travelled and re-entered to Canada no problem but it's not guaranteed.. right?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nothing is guaranteed when you leave Canada. Especially if you have been in Canada for a while and are living in Canada on a visitor visa. It is up to the IO if they let you in. If they feel that your intent is not to stay temporarily, they do not have to let you back in. However, I think most people under the same circumstances, especially when travelling with the Canadian spouse will get back in. Any reason you did not apply for sponsorship outland?

The given processing time for CEC is for 80% of cases. So I am sure we'd all like to be the faster 80% of the cases but some people have to be the slower 20. Sounds like your bad luck that you are in that group. No idea why yours is taking longer but you can order your CAIPS notes if you want to find out.

turtleujin

Apr 21, 2011
Thank you for reply!!

Can you tell me how to apply CAIPS notes ? I emailed them many times but always no reply.. What is CAIPS?

I applied for family sponsorship inland... I guess because I already live in Canada. I've been here over 9 years including studying plus working. Now my work permit is no longer able to extend.. that's why I have visitor permit now..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can find the application form here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-personal.asp

CAIPS notes should tell you what is going on with your CEC and FOSS notes will tell you what is going on with your inland application.

You did not know it is your right to apply outland even if you live in Canada. For US citizens, it is usually recommended because it tends to be faster than inland.

turtleujin

Apr 21, 2011
oh really? if i'm korean, is it still recommended to do outland application? I went through immigration agent who helped me through this process. I don't know why they didn't tell me outland application is faster :(

do you think it's okay I go this website and request my file status? caips.ca -- this website charges $40 and it takes 5-6weeks.. If i go to the website you provided above, is it free? and do you know how long it takes to get the result?

I went to the website you gave me above... should I just check CAIPS and FOSS or should I check overseas visa file (CAIPS included) and In Canada file (FOSS included)? also do you know what i should put for requester's reference no. and ATIP file number? and at the bottom, I should put my name, phone number and my address but I just don't need to check the box since I'm not a Canadian citizen yet right?

I'm sorry for asking a lot of questions.. This forum is only my hope!!

thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
turtleujin said:
oh really? if i'm korean, is it still recommended to do outland application? I went through immigration agent who helped me through this process. I don't know why they didn't tell me outland application is faster :(

do you think it's okay I go this website and request my file status? caips.ca -- this website charges $40 and it takes 5-6weeks.. If i go to the website you provided above, is it free? and do you know how long it takes to get the result?

I went to the website you gave me above... should I just check CAIPS and FOSS or should I check overseas visa file (CAIPS included) and In Canada file (FOSS included)? also do you know what i should put for requester's reference no. and ATIP file number? and at the bottom, I should put my name, phone number and my address but I just don't need to check the box since I'm not a Canadian citizen yet right?

I'm sorry for asking a lot of questions.. This forum is only my hope!!

thanks!

I have never had to order CAIPS or FOSS myself so I can not help you there but yes, if you use that form it is free. I do not know how long it takes to get the results.

At http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp you can see that an inland spouse application takes on average 9-10 months to first stage approval. That means you can apply for an open work permit. Then another 9 months on average to get your PR.

The same links shows that an outland would take 41 days to approve your sponsor and after that goes to your home country. Korea is even faster than the US, 80% of cases done within 6 months, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp#asia

There are advantages and disadvantages to both outland and inland. Inland usually ensures that you can stay in Canada during your application. You will normally not be kicked out but the process takes longer and there are no appeal rights plus if you leave and for any reason aren't allowed back, you lose your application. With outland, people are normally not kicked out either but even if you were, your application would still continue to get processed. Another downside with outland is that if you were called for an interview, you would have to go to Korea for it.