+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I trace my child's Canada Child Benefit (CCB)?

kkwangsir

Nov 9, 2016
As this page shows
https://www.taxtips.ca/savemoney/child-and-family-benefits.htm

Retroactive CCB Requests
Income Tax Act s. 122.62(2)
Budget 2016 changes allow a taxpayer to request retroactive payments of the CCB, CCTB or UCCB, with a 10 year time limit, as in the Taxpayer Relief Provisions, but in a slightly different manner. A retroactive payment request can be made in respect of a month on or before the day that is 10 years after the beginning of that month, effective for requests made after June 2016.

To apply for retroactive benefits, apply for the CCB through My Account or by filing an RC66 form (link below).

My child was born in Canada, and I have been on a work visa. At the end of 2018, my son returned to my home country. I never leave since 2018. In 2023, I became a Canadian PR. My son and wife are coming to Canada next month for a landing. Can the unclaimed CCB for all these years be retroactively issued to me? I remember CRA can hold my CCB for up to a year, but from reading this article, it seems like I can request all the CCB for the past 10 years.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
As this page shows
https://www.taxtips.ca/savemoney/child-and-family-benefits.htm

Retroactive CCB Requests
Income Tax Act s. 122.62(2)
Budget 2016 changes allow a taxpayer to request retroactive payments of the CCB, CCTB or UCCB, with a 10 year time limit, as in the Taxpayer Relief Provisions, but in a slightly different manner. A retroactive payment request can be made in respect of a month on or before the day that is 10 years after the beginning of that month, effective for requests made after June 2016.

To apply for retroactive benefits, apply for the CCB through My Account or by filing an RC66 form (link below).

My child was born in Canada, and I have been on a work visa. At the end of 2018, my son returned to my home country. I never leave since 2018. In 2023, I became a Canadian PR. My son and wife are coming to Canada next month for a landing. Can the unclaimed CCB for all these years be retroactively issued to me? I remember CRA can hold my CCB for up to a year, but from reading this article, it seems like I can request all the CCB for the past 10 years.

Who can get the Canada child benefit
You must meet all of the following conditions:

You live with a child who is under 18 years of age
You are primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child
See who is primarily responsible

You are a resident of Canada for tax purposes
You or your spouse or common-law partner must be any of the following:
a Canadian citizen
a permanent resident
a protected person
a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month other than one that states "does not confer status" or "does not confer temporary resident status"
an individual who is registered, or entitled to be registered under the Indian Act

The child left in 2018. They never lived with you , so no

Reactions: YVR123 and Taran D