+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I take PSW program with Management or Business Administration background

Mapleleaf705

Feb 12, 2024
Hello All,

I have a business management/administration background with having a degree in Business Administration, currently, I`m pursuing my graduate certificate in Project Management for 1 year and I`m planning to do another 1-year course so that I can get 3 years of PGWP after (1+1 courses)

So, I`m thinking of doing the Personal Support Worker program as my second course, I`m curious and would like to know if taking that particular program won't affect me in getting PGWP.

Please give your suggestion. Thanks

Sobiya02

Jun 8, 2020
Hi, even i have the same concern, i did my bachelors degree in Accounts and Commerce, currently studying finance and for my second course i would like to go with PSW program, i want to know if i can switch and what are the program requirements?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
All the people pivoting and studying to be a PSW should be aware that the government will likely start making sure that it makes some sense (based on their background) that they will work as PSWs not just get PR and never work as a PSW. Makes zero sense to grant PR to people due to a shortage of labour knowing that people will never work in the field.

CADme23

Jun 28, 2024
Based on PGWP rules now, you would be able to get 3 years if you do two one year programs. However, cankuck78 makes a good point that LOTS of people are also doing this so I wouldn't be surprised if it raises suspicion in the future.
Also, do you know what a PSW does? You know it's things like helping dress and feed people, helping them go to the washroom, etc. Great if you know what the job includes and you want to do it. I just ask because lots of students say they want to do it because they perceive it to be an easy path to jobs and PR. It's a physically demanding job and pay isn't great.