+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I stay while applying for sponsorship?

sykonet

May 2, 2020
Hi.
Me and my wife are in Canada. We've been working with an immigration lawyer to help us on the sponsorship application. My wife's canadian, and I'm here as a visitor (I can stay in the country until march 4th)
Next week we're mailing the application, and then we just have to wait till it gets approved. I heard I can stay until they tell me if I've been approved or not, is that true?

thanks

bian07

May 19, 2017
Are you doing an inland or outland application? Have you added a work permit application with the sponsorship application?

Reactions: sykonet

sykonet

May 2, 2020
Are you doing an inland or outland application? Have you added a work permit application with the sponsorship application?
That's what I don't know yet. I have to decide this week if I'll do inland or outland application. I know the inland application can be sent with a work permit application at the same time. But outland application I have to wait until the sponsorship is approved in order to apply for a work permit.
Right now I really want to apply for a inland application so I can get my work permit (4-5 months. So that I can extend my visa and say I'm waiting for my work permit) but...our case it's quite special, just because my wife gets a wellfare every month for disability, and the lawyer said we MIGHT get refused, but if we apply for outland application we can actually appeal for a hearing and explain our case better which would be helpful in case we get refused. So I don't really know what to do right now, we have 5 days to decide

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You need to verify with your wife that she is getting disability and not social assistance. It's different.
Also you need to proof that she can support you after you becomes PR. Since you cannot work yet and she is on disability, it may be a little hard unless you have some savings to cover it.

Also you cannot get work permit if you apply for outland. You can start to work once you get PR. (PRs and Canadians do not need work permit to work in Canada)

You can try to stay in Canada by applying for a visitor extension but applying to be sponsored do not give you any status.

You may need to talk over again with your lawyer to make sure that you understand your choices. Inland can apply for OWP but it's been much longer wait than 4 months since COVID. There is no appeal for inland.

Outland you can apply for appeal if you get rejected. But appeal do take a very long time. It's better to plan and get a good application instead of planning for appeal.

bian07

May 19, 2017
That's what I don't know yet. I have to decide this week if I'll do inland or outland application. I know the inland application can be sent with a work permit application at the same time. But outland application I have to wait until the sponsorship is approved in order to apply for a work permit.
Right now I really want to apply for a inland application so I can get my work permit (4-5 months. So that I can extend my visa and say I'm waiting for my work permit) but...our case it's quite special, just because my wife gets a wellfare every month for disability, and the lawyer said we MIGHT get refused, but if we apply for outland application we can actually appeal for a hearing and explain our case better which would be helpful in case we get refused. So I don't really know what to do right now, we have 5 days to decide
You can't get a work permit when applying outland. It is only an option for inland, no matter where you are in the process. Once you get the permanent residency approved you don't need a work permit since you will be a permanent resident.

There is the option of applying outland while being in canada, you wouldn't be eligible for the work permit either but you can apply to extend your stay and also travel outside of Canada without issues.

If appealing is a concern of yours then you should probably go with outland, but prepare that you won't be able to work until you are a permanent resident.

sykonet

May 2, 2020
You can't get a work permit when applying outland. It is only an option for inland, no matter where you are in the process. Once you get the permanent residency approved you don't need a work permit since you will be a permanent resident.

There is the option of applying outland while being in canada, you wouldn't be eligible for the work permit either but you can apply to extend your stay and also travel outside of Canada without issues.

If appealing is a concern of yours then you should probably go with outland, but prepare that you won't be able to work until you are a permanent resident.
oh I see I see, I think I'll do that. Just prepare a good application rather than trying appealing.
It's just covid made a lot of things harder than they used to be for me and my wife.

Also, if I got the application refused. Could I apply again? Or is it not that easy