+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I stay after applying PR

rp1984

Jun 28, 2013
I am currently working here as a software engineer and I have already completed my 2 years in mid of May 2013. My assignment ends this year in August and I have to go back to my home country after that. I am planning to apply for PR along with my spouse under CEC before leaving Canada.

Just want to know Can I stay after applying PR from Canada even I have resigned from my company here in Canada

My Wife is working on Spouse dependent open-work permit. Can she also continue working after applying PR if I need to go back to my county.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Hi RP,

I'm glad you asked before delaying further. Ofcourse you can stay, infact not only stay but you are also eligible to work for any employer in Canada.

Firstly, if you apply for CEC asap, in about 4-6 weeks time you will get your AOR. (i guess April/May'13 applicants will better confirm/deny this). AOR is a kind of initial confirmation by CIC that your documents are all in order and your application is being put in a que for review.

As soon as you get AOR - you will be entitled to apply for Bridging Open Work Permit - that will be an Open Work Permit for i guess a period of 1 year. You can read more about it here. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2012-12-17.asp

But i guess the first thing for you is to apply for CEC asap. Complete all the forms for your self, your wife, get the reference letter from your employer, pay stubs, NOA, T4.....and send it in asap so that you get AOR before your current WP expires. There is a lot of info already available on this forum regarding each step. But do thoroughly study the CEC application instruction guide.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5609ETOC.asp

All the best.

desi2012

Star Member
Oct 27, 2012
InfoSeeker12 said:
As soon as you get AOR - you will be entitled to apply for Bridging Open Work Permit - that will be an Open Work Permit for i guess a period of 1 year. You can read more about it here. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2012-12-17.asp
I think you missed an important point here. BOWP eligibility is based on AOR and WP expiry both.
rp1984's assignment finishes in August, but he has not mentioned anything about WP expiry.
Seniors, please correct me if I am wrong.

nandoU

Star Member
Mar 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
04-07-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
InfoSeeker12 said:
Hi RP,

I'm glad you asked before delaying further. Ofcourse you can stay, infact not only stay but you are also eligible to work for any employer in Canada.

Firstly, if you apply for CEC asap, in about 4-6 weeks time you will get your AOR. (i guess April/May'13 applicants will better confirm/deny this). AOR is a kind of initial confirmation by CIC that your documents are all in order and your application is being put in a que for review.

As soon as you get AOR - you will be entitled to apply for Bridging Open Work Permit - that will be an Open Work Permit for i guess a period of 1 year. You can read more about it here.

But i guess the first thing for you is to apply for CEC asap. Complete all the forms for your self, your wife, get the reference letter from your employer, pay stubs, NOA, T4.....and send it in asap so that you get AOR before your current WP expires. There is a lot of info already available on this forum regarding each step. But do thoroughly study the CEC application instruction guide.
All the best.
Hi

Are you serious that getting an AOR can be that fast?, 4-6 weeks? (or at least faster than 6 months)....now my employer said that he is not sure about that there is enough funding till January where my contract ends. My question is, if I find myself unemployed but with valid WP and AOR, can I still apply for an Open WP?

Cheers

sabidhawan

Star Member
Jul 14, 2011
Yes , you can still apply . Unemployment has nothing to do with it . BOWP was actually inrtroduced so you dont loose your job and even if u r unemployed u can still apply if you qualify.

rp1984

Jun 28, 2013
Thanks everyone for your reply.

My assignment is getting over in August and have to go back to my country. I have valid visa now but if I will leave that company my visa will automatically get expired. So my question is Can I come back to canada and search for work if I have applied for PR ..

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
rp1984 said:
Thanks everyone for your reply.

My assignment is getting over in August and have to go back to my country. I have valid visa now but if I will leave that company my visa will automatically get expired. So my question is Can I come back to canada and search for work if I have applied for PR ..
1. Submitting an application for permanent residence does not give you any status in Canada. For you to stay or come back, you will still need a work permit or visitors permit.

2. If your wife is on a spousal open work permit, her fate is tied to yours. If you leave, she must also. Alternatively, if she could get a LMO-approved temporary work permit or student permit, she could stay on her own (and then you might be eligible for the spousal open work permit).

3. Rules for eligibility have changed for the CEC program, effective January 2, 2013. You no longer need 2 years of work experience, only one. In any case, it sounds like you could apply for CEC now.

4. If you apply for CEC now, right now, it is possible that you get the AOR before your current work permit / assignment expires. If that happens, you could apply for the Bridging Open Work Permit, as described by InfoSeeker above. But if you leave Canada, you would not be eligible anymore for the BOWP.

5. If you resign from your company, you may still remain in Canada through the remainder of your current work permit. But you could not work for any other employer until you obtained a new work permit.