+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I start working while waiting for PGWP?

dendym1984

Feb 5, 2013
Hello guys,

Have a valid student/off campus work permits (so called bridge extension) and applied to PGWP + have a job offer from a Canadian employer. HR at this company said that they cannot hire me till I get PGWP.

I am frustrated. It's clearly contradicts to my college's CIC workshops and I my calls to CIC (they told that I can start working though didn't provide clear links).

Additionally, I've checked several Canadian universities and they treat bridge permits the same- it allows to accept job offers.

Queens:

When can I begin working?

If you have an Off-Campus Work Permit (see above for details), you can begin working at any time. The Off-Campus Work Permit can be used as a "bridge" between the end of your studies and the date you receive your Post-Graduation Work Permit.

If you do not have an Off-Campus Work Permit, you must wait until you receive your Post-Graduation Work Permit to begin working.

Same with HEC Montreal:

The waiting period is too long for my employer. How can I start working sooner?

Students who have a valid off-campus work permit and who have graduated less than 3 months before may start working full-time for an employer while they wait for their post-graduation work permit.
Same with Ryerson U:

9. I have an Off-Campus Work Permit. What happens when I graduate and finish my degree requirements?

Transition from Off-Campus Work Permit to Post-Graduation Work Permit:

If you have completed your degree requirements and are within the 90-day period allowed for transition to post-graduation employment, you will still be considered eligible to work off-campus (as long as you have a valid Study Permit and a valid Off-Campus Work Permit).

If you have applied for a Post-Graduation Work Permit but have not received it yet and you already have a job offer, you may begin your employment using your Off-Campus Work Permit while waiting for your new Post-Graduation Work Permit.

MUSHROOMROOM

Star Member
Dec 25, 2012
Why don't you email cic and get a written confirmation from cic? I am in the same situation and cic sent me an email saying i could work as long as I have a valid ocwp and have applied from PGWP.

hope it helps!

BTW did you apply on online?

dendym1984

Feb 5, 2013
Hi

I called to cic and they told me that yes I can start working. They sent me some written clarification, but it states that I can continue work. It doesn't state clearly that I can start working. Can u send me your written clarification, please? Thank you!