+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I start working while waiting for PGWP?

dendym1984

Feb 5, 2013
Hello guys,

Have a valid student/off campus work permits (so called bridge extension) and applied to PGWP + have a job offer from a Canadian employer. HR at this company said that they cannot hire me till I get PGWP.

I am frustrated. It's clearly contradicts to my college's CIC workshops and I my calls to CIC (they told that I can start working though didn't provide clear links).

Additionally, I've checked several Canadian universities and they treat bridge permits the same- it allows to accept job offers.

Queens:

When can I begin working?

If you have an Off-Campus Work Permit (see above for details), you can begin working at any time. The Off-Campus Work Permit can be used as a "bridge" between the end of your studies and the date you receive your Post-Graduation Work Permit.

If you do not have an Off-Campus Work Permit, you must wait until you receive your Post-Graduation Work Permit to begin working.

Same with HEC Montreal:

The waiting period is too long for my employer. How can I start working sooner?

Students who have a valid off-campus work permit and who have graduated less than 3 months before may start working full-time for an employer while they wait for their post-graduation work permit.
Same with Ryerson U:

9. I have an Off-Campus Work Permit. What happens when I graduate and finish my degree requirements?

Transition from Off-Campus Work Permit to Post-Graduation Work Permit:

If you have completed your degree requirements and are within the 90-day period allowed for transition to post-graduation employment, you will still be considered eligible to work off-campus (as long as you have a valid Study Permit and a valid Off-Campus Work Permit).

If you have applied for a Post-Graduation Work Permit but have not received it yet and you already have a job offer, you may begin your employment using your Off-Campus Work Permit while waiting for your new Post-Graduation Work Permit.

bigkahuna

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2012
Med's Request
20-12-2012
Med's Done....
27-12-2012
Passport Req..
submitted with application
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2013
dendym1984 said:
Hello guys,

Have a valid student/off campus work permits (so called bridge extension) and applied to PGWP + have a job offer from a Canadian employer. HR at this company said that they cannot hire me till I get PGWP.

I am frustrated. It's clearly contradicts to my college's CIC workshops and I my calls to CIC (they told that I can start working though didn't provide clear links).

Additionally, I've checked several Canadian universities and they treat bridge permits the same- it allows to accept job offers.

Queens:

When can I begin working?

If you have an Off-Campus Work Permit (see above for details), you can begin working at any time. The Off-Campus Work Permit can be used as a "bridge" between the end of your studies and the date you receive your Post-Graduation Work Permit.

If you do not have an Off-Campus Work Permit, you must wait until you receive your Post-Graduation Work Permit to begin working.

Same with HEC Montreal:

The waiting period is too long for my employer. How can I start working sooner?

Students who have a valid off-campus work permit and who have graduated less than 3 months before may start working full-time for an employer while they wait for their post-graduation work permit.
Same with Ryerson U:

9. I have an Off-Campus Work Permit. What happens when I graduate and finish my degree requirements?

Transition from Off-Campus Work Permit to Post-Graduation Work Permit:

If you have completed your degree requirements and are within the 90-day period allowed for transition to post-graduation employment, you will still be considered eligible to work off-campus (as long as you have a valid Study Permit and a valid Off-Campus Work Permit).

If you have applied for a Post-Graduation Work Permit but have not received it yet and you already have a job offer, you may begin your employment using your Off-Campus Work Permit while waiting for your new Post-Graduation Work Permit.
you can probably get a copy of your sent application and tell the company that your PGWP is under processing and you are just waiting for it.

Reactions: Red Igloo

dendym1984

Feb 5, 2013
Thanks!

I've sent them copy of my receipt plus a screenshot for an application page (which actually is the only way to prove that I've applied for PGWP).

But then HR sent me following from CIC help desk:

Can I apply for a job before I get my post-graduation work permit?

Yes, but you must have a valid post-graduation work permit before working.

My college's advisor responded quickly contradicting:

The link that she or he referenced states
states that you need a valid work permit to work in Canada as a foreign student/work/visitor. This is common sense.

However, the off-campus work permit is special because it allows you transition into the Post-graduation work permit (with no interruption). Employers can hire graduates full-time, this is encouraged.

You already have the info on Implied Status while waiting for new a work permit to be issued by CIC (I hope you understand this).

I suggest that you refer the HR person to this CIC web page:

3. Conditions of the work permit
A study permit is usually issued for the duration of study, plus 90 days. The work permit will follow the same rule: duration of study, plus 90 days.

Transition to post-graduation employment: Students who have completed all degree, diploma or certificate requirements and who are within the 90-day period allowed for transition to post-graduation employment will still be considered eligible to work off-campus, provided they are in possession of a valid study permit and a valid off-campus work permit.

Implied status: Students who have completed their studies and have submitted an application for a Post- Graduation Work Permit, when they are in possession of a valid study permit and a valid Off-Campus Work Permit, may continue to work off-campus until a decision on their application has been made.

The HR person is free to call the CIC Call Centre and they will confirm that that the company can legally hire you without delay.

Waiting for the HR response

ahmakki

Jan 10, 2013
Hi, check this link under : Transition from Off-Campus Work Permits to Post-Graduation Work Permits
remove the spaces
www . cic.gc.ca / english / resources / manuals / bulletins / 2010 / ob193.asp

good luck