+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I start working in co-op before co-op term?

Jash619

Dec 11, 2020
Toronto
Category........
STUDY
Hi,

I am a student at GBC and my co-op term starts on the 9th of May. Since securing a co-op in this market is extremely difficult we were encouraged to start applying from Jan-22. I have received a job offer and they need me to start working ASAP.

1. Can I work with the company on my co-op work permit before my co-op term officially starts?
2. Do I need to leave my part-time?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I am a student at GBC and my co-op term starts on the 9th of May. Since securing a co-op in this market is extremely difficult we were encouraged to start applying from Jan-22. I have received a job offer and they need me to start working ASAP.

1. Can I work with the company on my co-op work permit before my co-op term officially starts?
2. Do I need to leave my part-time?
Due to Covid, you can start working up to 20 hours on your co-op work permit until approved. So you can’t work any part-time job at the same time.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/study-permit/work.html

Jash619

Dec 11, 2020
Toronto
Category........
STUDY
Due to Covid, you can start working up to 20 hours on your co-op work permit until approved. So you can’t work any part-time job at the same time.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/study-permit/work.html
My co-op work permit has already been approved. This will be my second course in Canada. I know I can work full-time in my co-op and still hold a part-time job. My concern is whether I can start working in my co-op job before my co-op term begins ( job starts in April and the Co-op term starts in May)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My co-op work permit has already been approved. This will be my second course in Canada. I know I can work full-time in my co-op and still hold a part-time job. My concern is whether I can start working in my co-op job before my co-op term begins ( job starts in April and the Co-op term starts in May)
That is between you and the school.