+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I sponsor my husband to Canada if I don't have a job?Really complex case now

faar23

Jul 13, 2016
Hello, Apologies in advance for the length, but my case has gotten quite complex now.

My husband and I married in 2012. We are both Pakistani by birth, but I moved to Canada in 2001 and have been a naturalized Canadian citizen since 2005. My husband has been studying (2009 - 2011) and working (2011 - now) in England from 2009.

When we married in 2012, I applied for his Canadian sponsorship in early 2013. I submitted all the papers etc. and by March 2014 he had been asked to submit his passport for the visa. Unfortunately he didn't do it due to some personal circumstances.

This year in March 2016 he received a final email from the visa center that he was being given a final 30 days to submit his passport after which they would close the case. So he emailed them and told them that he will not be submitting his passport and that circumstances have changed and that he will apply in the future and...basically he withdrew his application. So that's one issue that he has already withdrawn his sponsorship application once.

In the UK, he was/is on a tier 2 general work visa and I was on a tier 2 partner visa. We now have a 1.5 year old daughter who was also on the same visa as me. Around June 2016, his job has been in trouble and basically his company is doing a layoff of nearly 200 people and he is one of them. All of our visas were expiring on August 11, 2016.

Our original plan if his job wasn't in trouble was to simply renew our visas and keep living there, but since his job is no longer safe it didn't make sense to renew mine and my daughter's visas because...it would have costed $6000 and once he loses his job (he got his 4 weeks notice today actually) and can't find a new one then we wouldn't have been able to stay there anyways. So my husband renewed his work permit so that he can continue to look for work, but my daughter and I left for Canada before our visas expired.

Since June, 2016 when he learned his job was in trouble, he has been applying to other jobs and giving interviews, but the industry he works in seems like it will stay down for a few years to come so our plan changed from staying in the UK to moving to Canada.

So we thought that once my daughter and I leave UK, he will apply for a visit visa and once he is here in Canada we can extend his visit visa and he can also apply for an open work permit. Well my daughter and I are in Canada and he applied for the visit visa and it was refused. So here is the second issue - he was denied a visit visa to Canada.

Now our plan is to sponsor him once more to Canada as before. My question is how difficult will it be this time because he withdrew a sponsorship application once and he has been rejected for a visit once too now. Will I have to show more supporting documents then before?

When I first sponsored him I was actually a full time student and we showed my father and mother income as support. I am no longer a student, but I don't have a job here in Canada yet and I have a daughter who needs care too. My father is still willing to support us so can we show his income again or do I need to be employed in order to sponsor him this time?

Can I apply for his sponsorship before I can find work and once I find work I can let them know.

Another question is how soon can I put in his sponsorship application now? Because I have not been living in Canada for nearly 3 years, I have heard that I need to stay here for at least 6 - 8 weeks before I can put in his sponsorship application and then I need to stay for another month or so after while it's being reviewed to see if it's eligible...is true about the 6 - 8 weeks stay or can I submit it ASAP.

Thanks in advance everyone, if there is any confusion please let me know and I will answer.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I don't believe that having withdrawn a previous application will negatively impact him (too much) this time. Just explain the circumstances and assuming that the circumstances are reasonable, I think it will be fine. This is just my opinion so perhaps someone more knowledgable will refute what I just said but this is my 2 cents.

And you don't need to be employed to sponsor your husband. But IRCC will want to know how all of you will survive financially in Canada. So you can have your father write a sworn affidavit saying he is again willing to financially help support you, your husband and child. Also provide a solid plan on how once your husband becomes PR, what his plans are to find work ,etc. That should be enough.

You can sponsor him ASAP.