+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I renew my work visa using a different passport?

juarezse

Star Member
Aug 27, 2015
Hello. I am currently under a post-graduation work visa with my Passport from Venezuela. My work visa will expire in Feb. 2017.
I also got my passport from Chile as I have a dual citizenship. Note that the restrictions for Chileans are less than for Venezuelans, i.e., Chileans do not need a visa to enter Canada or the US.
My question is if it is possible to renew my work visa and eventually apply for a PR using my Chilean passport as I am thinking of stop renewing my other passport.
I am asking this because I think I am already in the CIC database with my Venezuelan citizenship. Would using a different passport give me issues in the future?

Thank you.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can't extend/renew a PGWP. Your employer would need to apply for and obtain an LMIA, then you could apply for a new WP.

Which passport you use is irrelevant.

You should, in any case, apply for PR as soon as you can (and/or as soon as you have a decent amount of points) if you wish to stay.

juarezse

Star Member
Aug 27, 2015
Hey, thank you for replying.
What does my boss have to do to apply for that LMIA? I believe I am the first employee with my situation so he has no idea how to deal with this.
And, if I applied for a PR, can I remain working in Canada while I await the decision from immigration?
Also, what do you consider a decent amount of points?

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Basic information about LMIAs can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

A decent amount of points for Express Entry / Federal Skilled Worker immigration is 450.

No - creating an Express Entry profile will not allow you to remain in Canada and continue working. You need to be selected, submit your full application package and receive a confirmation from CIC that your application has been received. Then you can apply for a bridging open work permit.