+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I renew my post graduate work permit?

Choo

Jan 20, 2012
I am wondering if I can renew my post graduate work permit. I am in the process of getting my PR and it is going to take a long time. In the meantime, my work permit will be expired.

“A” lawyer advised me that I need to apply for the LMO first and then apply for a new work permit, but “B” lawyer advised me that I can renew my current work permit. He said I don’t need to apply for the LMO since I have a post graduate work permit and I am employed.

I am a bit confused.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you can't renew a PGWP. If you want to keep working, your employer will have to apply for an LMO. Assuming the LMO is approved, you can then apply for a work permit which will allow you to continue working in Canada. Lawyer A is correct.

vesta

Aug 4, 2011
I strongly believe that LAWYER B is correct coz for post grad students, they don't need LMO if they are under skill O,A or B ....

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
vesta said:
I strongly believe that LAWYER B is correct coz for post grad students, they don't need LMO if they are under skill O,A or B ....
Sorry, this is wrong. You can apply to extend your work permit, but you can't "renew" a PGWP - you will change to a temporary work permit, which requires an LMO. However, because you were originally hired with a PGWP, your employer does not have to demonstrate recruitment efforts - in other words, they still have to apply for the LMO, but it is easier.

Show your employer this webpage - near the bottom it says:
In cases where the employer is making a permanent job offer to employees who have completed the PGWPP for employment in a skilled occupation (within National Occupational Classification 0, A and B codes only), the employer will not be required to demonstrate recruitment efforts. It is recommended that the employer submit the application for an LMO approximately four months before the expiry of the Post-Graduation Work Permit.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/intstugrad.shtml

htayyab

Star Member
Dec 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
SEP-2011
AOR Received.
NOV-2011
Med's Done....
NOV-2011
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
May-2012
VISA ISSUED...
JUN-2012
LANDED..........
JUL-2012
Another thing to add on a similar note is that the government of Canada has put a limit of 4 years work on temporary foreign workers sometime last year. So if you have been working for 4 years you cant extend your work permit even using an LMO (perhaps if you have a PNP that would be a different story, not too sure about it).

Speaking of PNP, that may be a good option for you since you can apply for provincial nomination and apply under PNP PR immigration category and keep extending work permit till a decision is made on your PNP PR application.

el_canuck

Jun 15, 2011
It also depends on your profession. If your position falls under that of a NAFTA professional, then you are exempt from LMO requirements.

Either way, you are not "extending" your PGWP, you're applying for a new one that's tied directly to you employer.

Choo

Jan 20, 2012
Everyone and jes_ON, thank you for sharing your opinion in regards to this matter. I will ask my lawyer to find the definite answer once more. I think jes_ON is right. Yes, I can extend my permit but I can’t renew my PGWP and therefore, my employer still needs to submit the LMO.

I will get back to you all.

Thanks.

shortymac

Feb 22, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - CPP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 7th, 2013
Nomination.....
Stephanie McNamara
AOR Received.
Feb 13th, 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 20th, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
July 5th, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 28th, 2013
LANDED..........
August 29th, 2013
Trust me, you can't renew an PGWP, I got a nasty surprise last night about that!

I'm going today to HR about this, it's ridiculous because I only need a few extra months!

I thought you had to renew the permit first, then apply for PR?

jayroy

Jul 3, 2012
htayyab said:
Another thing to add on a similar note is that the government of Canada has put a limit of 4 years work on temporary foreign workers sometime last year. So if you have been working for 4 years you cant extend your work permit even using an LMO (perhaps if you have a PNP that would be a different story, not too sure about it).

Speaking of PNP, that may be a good option for you since you can apply for provincial nomination and apply under PNP PR immigration category and keep extending work permit till a decision is made on your PNP PR application.
Hello there,

Hoping you can help as u seem to know the process.

I have the Ontario PNP certificate + support letter. My PR is under process but I require a work permit and visa to stay valid till the PR comes in. I know I have to apply to CPC, Alberta.

What I am looking for is which application to put in. Is it a new work permit or an extension of the old work permit. And what about the visa?

Any help will be highly appreciated. My e-mail id is rockon.eshaan @ gmail.com.

Thanks and regards,
Jay

jayroy

Jul 3, 2012
Choo said:
Everyone and jes_ON, thank you for sharing your opinion in regards to this matter. I will ask my lawyer to find the definite answer once more. I think jes_ON is right. Yes, I can extend my permit but I can't renew my PGWP and therefore, my employer still needs to submit the LMO.

I will get back to you all.

Thanks.
Hey, can we please discuss what the lawyer said. I would be really glad. If need be, I am open to sharing the lawyer charges Hoping you can help. My e-mail address is rockon.eshaan @ gmail.com.

I have the Ontario PNP certificate + support letter. My PR is under process but I require a work permit and visa to stay valid till the PR comes in. I know I have to apply to CPC, Alberta.What I am looking for is which application to put in. Is it a new work permit or an extension of the old work permit. And what about the visa?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Jay

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
This is the application package: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

Have you confirmed whether you need a LMO?

For TRV (temporary resident visa): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp

Note that for applicants in Canada, this is the checklist you use: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5721E.pdf and the application is mailed to CPP - Ottawa.

You need a valid work permit to apply for a TRV. Hope this helps!!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
jayroy said:
I have the Ontario PNP certificate + support letter. My PR is under process but I require a work permit and visa to stay valid till the PR comes in. I know I have to apply to CPC, Alberta.

What I am looking for is which application to put in. Is it a new work permit or an extension of the old work permit. And what about the visa?
Senorita Bella has answered about the visa.

As for the work permit, you need to submit the application to extend/change conditions of your work permit (assuming you currently hold a valid (non-expired) work permit).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

You can mail it to CPC-Vegreville or submit it online.

On the application form, Page 2, section D, "My Request" you explain what type of permit you curerntly have and that you are applying for an open work permit, based on your selection by Opportunities Ontario, and indicate the support documents you are submitting (The letter of support and the Ontario Letter of Nomination must be included with the application - even tho this is not mentioned on the document checklist).

Calgary_Man

Dec 28, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/New Delhi
NOC Code......
SPOUSAL VISA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-MARCH-2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
AOR1- 23-JUNE-2014, AOR2 - 02-JULY-2014, IP - 19-SEPT-2014
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
23-JUNE-2014
Med's Request
FILED WITH APPLICATION
Med's Done....
21 FEB 2014
Interview........
INTERVIEW - WAIVED, DM - 14 OCT, 2014
Passport Req..
13 OCT, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
OCT 21, 2014
LANDED..........
NOV 10, 2014
Choo said:
I am wondering if I can renew my post graduate work permit. I am in the process of getting my PR and it is going to take a long time. In the meantime, my work permit will be expired.

“A” lawyer advised me that I need to apply for the LMO first and then apply for a new work permit, but “B” lawyer advised me that I can renew my current work permit. He said I don't need to apply for the LMO since I have a post graduate work permit and I am employed.

I am a bit confused.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Lawyer B is WRONG, Lawyer A is correct.