+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i Quit job while processing the spousal visa?

Eheheh

Mar 14, 2019
I don't know about affecting the application but from reading on here it shouldn't be a problem. As for the parental leave, his employer CAN'T ask him to quit after 4 weeks, it is not up to the employer to decide how much time he can get on parental leave. Parental leave is a part of the EI (Employment Insurance) system in Canada so he will get approximately 60% of his normal salary up to the max limit. His employer pays nothing. Your spouse is entitled to the length of leave based on a number of factors and is guaranteed his job when his leave is finished. Biggest is the number of weeks he has worked in the last year. I assume his employer is not a big company because they would not try to do that. Have a look at this site, should tell you everything you and he needs to know.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/reports/maternity-parental.html#h2.2

This appears to be another case of a not honest employer trying to take advantage of immigrants who don't know their rights and the appropriate laws in Canada. Final comment is, his employer can't fire him now since he has already made it known that he plans to take the leave, a dishonest employer might try to do that too.

Hope you get it sorted out, Cheers.
Thank you so much. This info helped us alot. In regards to the application, We called cic yesterday and they said we'd have to have the confirmation first from the ircc that he is eligible to sponsor before he quit his job or else it can affect the application since there's no way he can prove that he has the ability to support the principal applicant.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much. This info helped us alot. In regards to the application, We called cic yesterday and they said we'd have to have the confirmation first from the ircc that he is eligible to sponsor before he quit his job or else it can affect the application since there's no way he can prove that he has the ability to support the principal applicant.
He can quit whenever he wants. IRCC won't even know.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello Eheheh, Something just occurred to me but I don't have the answer to it and didn't see it being mentioned in the link I gave to you. Are you applying inland or outland? I ask because if you are inland then your spouse should qualify for parental benefits since you are already in Canada.

If you are not in Canada it might be a different story. I don't know if he would be eligible if you are not physically in Canada.

I suggest you call the EI info services at the number on the bottom of that page to get clarification.

Reactions: Eheheh

Eheheh

Mar 14, 2019
Hello Eheheh, Something just occurred to me but I don't have the answer to it and didn't see it being mentioned in the link I gave to you. Are you applying inland or outland? I ask because if you are inland then your spouse should qualify for parental benefits since you are already in Canada.

If you are not in Canada it might be a different story. I don't know if he would be eligible if you are not physically in Canada.

I suggest you call the EI info services at the number on the bottom of that page to get clarification.
We applied inland. And yes we did call them today. Thank you guys ❤

Reactions: Canada2020eh

Anshika Gupta

Feb 3, 2021
Hi, I have a question, I submitted my husbands application in January, I have not received an AOR yet. He is in India. I (Sponsor) am currently in a full time permanent job. Can I leave my job before he gets his PR or when is the right time that I can leave my job? If I change or leave my job do I need to inform CIC?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Hi, I have a question, I submitted my husbands application in January, I have not received an AOR yet. He is in India. I (Sponsor) am currently in a full time permanent job. Can I leave my job before he gets his PR or when is the right time that I can leave my job? If I change or leave my job do I need to inform CIC?
You can leave your job or change jobs at any time in the PR spousal process so long as you will not collect social assistance (welfare) at any point. Once you start collecting welfare, your application will be rejected on that account. You do not need to inform CIC about it. However if you plan to move to India to be with your husband, assuming you have Canadian citizenship, you will need to inform IRCC of this decision. You are expected to remain in Canada if you are a PR sponsor.