+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i Quit job while processing the spousal visa?

callmemarzii

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
Just sent my app a week ago, haven’t received any AOR yet or any update that my application was received. On my application forms on employment history, I am currently employed. My question is can I quit job or change job while my application is still processing? If I do so, do I need to update cic? Are they going to call my company?

Pls I need some ensight about this. I hope i can really change job, it’s been dragging already coming to work everyday when you have some conflict at work.

Thanks for your help.

shalenabennie

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2017
Visa Office......
London
You may quit or change your job. It's fine. You should probably find a new job before quitting, so you won't have a loss of income, as you are required to financially responsible for the principal applicant. They will need to know that you are still able to support your spouse

callmemarzii

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
You may quit or change your job. It's fine. You should probably find a new job before quitting, so you won't have a loss of income, as you are required to financially responsible for the principal applicant. They will need to know that you are still able to support your spouse

I am actually the principal applicant. Does it have any effect on the application. My husband in canada is sponsoring me. He doesn’t have any problem with his job.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
I am actually the principal applicant. Does it have any effect on the application. My husband in canada is sponsoring me. He doesn’t have any problem with his job.
You're fine, and even if your husband quit his job, it wouldn't be a problem. No need to worry and no need to update CIC.

callmemarzii

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
Really? Cause my i used representative/visa consultancy office or agency here to process my application. They said i can quit job but i need to update cic. I don’t really want to do that cause it might prolong the process if i need to update my application. They said that cic case officer will call my employer.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Really? Cause my i used representative/visa consultancy office or agency here to process my application. They said i can quit job but i need to update cic. I don’t really want to do that cause it might prolong the process if i need to update my application. They said that cic case officer will call my employer.
I don't see a reason for that, especially on the side of the PA, but they don't even require it from sponsors. The information in the forms needs to be correct and current when the application is received. If you later start a university program, change jobs, anything like that, you don't need to update CIC.

You need to update them on big things such as name changes, getting a new passport, new contact information, etc.

shalenabennie

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2017
Visa Office......
London
How can I update or ask about an IRCC application in progress?
If your application is already in progress, use the Client Application Status (CAS) service. This service lets you view the status of your immigration and/or citizenship application online.

You can also use this web form if:

• you want to report important changes about your application, such as:
    • births
    • deaths
    • marriages
    • divorces
    • adoptions
    • changes in address
    • changes in employment
    • a new educational credential
    • results of an approved language test
According to the cic website, you do. Before, you only needed to update if there was a birth, death or change of address but I guess now they want for all of these.

callmemarzii

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
If your application is already in progress, use the Client Application Status (CAS) service. This service lets you view the status of your immigration and/or citizenship application online.

• births
    • deaths
    • marriages
    • divorces
    • adoptions
    • changes in address
    • changes in employment
According to the cic website, you do. Before, you only needed to update if there was a birth, death or change of address but I guess now they want for all of these.

Thanks for sending this, I guess It would be safe to really update them if there will be such changes on the PA’s side.

My representative said that sometimes the case officer will do an invistagation and call the company. Is that true? I am really doubtful with the consultancy office / rep that we hire.

shalenabennie

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2017
Visa Office......
London
Thanks for sending this, I guess It would be safe to really update them if there will be such changes on the PA’s side.

My representative said that sometimes the case officer will do an invistagation and call the company. Is that true? I am really doubtful with the consultancy office / rep that we hire.
It's not likely BUT it could happen. They have the right to call. I honestly don't think it will prolong your case at all. But is it really worth it if they did call and find out your not there? We submitted a change of employment and our bgc started a few days later so I don't believe it stalled it at all.

callmemarzii

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
I believed it’s not really that major changes and employment on my side as PA won’t really have that big effect on the decision right. I believe what’s more important is the employment status of my husband as sponsor, right?

Eheheh

Mar 14, 2019
Hello everyone, can someone help us? My husband will apply for parental leave next week since im due next week, he is the sponsor, now, the problem is, they only approved him to get 4weeks leave and gave him an option of quitting after 4 weeks if he would like to extend his leave. Will our application be affected? Even if he quits and will be on parental leave for 35 weeks? Thanks for future responses.

StephanH

Feb 20, 2019
Category........

• births
    • deaths
    • marriages
    • divorces
    • adoptions
    • changes in address
    • changes in employment

• you want to report important ......
You don't have to, it does not say you need to report, it says if you want to report. So, no need to report a change of employment if you don't want to.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello everyone, can someone help us? My husband will apply for parental leave next week since im due next week, he is the sponsor, now, the problem is, they only approved him to get 4weeks leave and gave him an option of quitting after 4 weeks if he would like to extend his leave. Will our application be affected? Even if he quits and will be on parental leave for 35 weeks? Thanks for future responses.
I don't know about affecting the application but from reading on here it shouldn't be a problem. As for the parental leave, his employer CAN'T ask him to quit after 4 weeks, it is not up to the employer to decide how much time he can get on parental leave. Parental leave is a part of the EI (Employment Insurance) system in Canada so he will get approximately 60% of his normal salary up to the max limit. His employer pays nothing. Your spouse is entitled to the length of leave based on a number of factors and is guaranteed his job when his leave is finished. Biggest is the number of weeks he has worked in the last year. I assume his employer is not a big company because they would not try to do that. Have a look at this site, should tell you everything you and he needs to know.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/reports/maternity-parental.html#h2.2

This appears to be another case of a not honest employer trying to take advantage of immigrants who don't know their rights and the appropriate laws in Canada. Final comment is, his employer can't fire him now since he has already made it known that he plans to take the leave, a dishonest employer might try to do that too.

Hope you get it sorted out, Cheers.

Reactions: Eheheh