+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I leave while I wait for my BOWP and my PR is in process?

mcdassum

Aug 27, 2018
Hi all,

So this is my question. I have applied for my PR and it has already been 4 months the application is still processing. I have an open work permit that will expire in 1 month.

I have to leave the country on September 27th for a family event. Can I leave and come back while these are being processed and come back and continue to work?

Also, anyone has an estimate on how long is the PR process taking now?

Thanks,
Clara

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Hi all,

So this is my question. I have applied for my PR and it has already been 4 months the application is still processing. I have an open work permit that will expire in 1 month.

I have to leave the country on September 27th for a family event. Can I leave and come back while these are being processed and come back and continue to work?

Thanks,
Clara
General PR processing time is 6 months. Depends on case to case.
Yes, you can come back if your work per has not expired yet.

zohebshaikh

Aug 13, 2017
Category........
PNP
Hi all,

Your current status and PR application are two separate things. You ability to return / continue to work is dependant on what the status of your current VISA will be when you plan to return. Only having a PR application in progress does not give you any special privileges to return.

It takes upto six months. How long the process takes depends specifically on your application and it's uniqueness and process required for it etc.

mcdassum

Aug 27, 2018
Thank you! My Work Permit will expire in 1 month and my BOWP has not yet been approved so I guess the safest thing will be to remain in Canada.

zohebshaikh

Aug 13, 2017
Category........
PNP
Thank you! My Work Permit will expire in 1 month and my BOWP has not yet been approved so I guess the safest thing will be to remain in Canada.
Not sure what that means, but seems like you plan to illegally stay on after your VISA expires ? o_O
That could cause problems for your PR application, as while they process your application they may at some stage find that you are staying on illegally after your VISA has expired. Don't think that's gonna work out too well :confused:

Guess some seniors may be able to more appropriately respond to your specific BOWP situation

Last edited:

mcdassum

Aug 27, 2018
No, not staying illegally at all. BOWP is the Bridging open work permit. The Bridging Open Work Permit was created as a way to keep workers in Canada working while their applications for permanent residency are processed. I can remain in Canada LEGALLY and keep working LEGALLY while this is being processed because of implied status.

What I was asking is if I could leave Canada while I have implied status.

Thanks for your feedback! :)

zohebshaikh

Aug 13, 2017
Category........
PNP
No, not staying illegally at all. BOWP is the Bridging open work permit. The Bridging Open Work Permit was created as a way to keep workers in Canada working while their applications for permanent residency are processed. I can remain in Canada LEGALLY and keep working LEGALLY while this is being processed because of implied status.

What I was asking is if I could leave Canada while I have implied status.

Thanks for your feedback! :)
Yeah.. was not sure if you technically fit the BOWP, not too familiar with it's specific requirements. :)