+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I leave employer after getting LMIA ?

vikasisrani

Oct 2, 2015
Hello

Under Express entry(Canadian Experience Class), if you get LMIA can help you to boost your CRS score by 50 points.
My friend have 2 years of work experience in NOC B category job. But still her CRS points don’t make to get Express Entry Invitation.
my question is, if she gets LMIA from the same employer where she is working, she will get 50 points extra and she will be invited to apply PR.
What if she leave the job after getting Invitation ? Will that be a problem ? or LMIA binds employee to work for the Employer till the Contract ends ?

thank you in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello

Under Express entry(Canadian Experience Class), if you get LMIA can help you to boost your CRS score by 50 points.
My friend have 2 years of work experience in NOC B category job. But still her CRS points don’t make to get Express Entry Invitation.
my question is, if she gets LMIA from the same employer where she is working, she will get 50 points extra and she will be invited to apply PR.
What if she leave the job after getting Invitation ? Will that be a problem ? or LMIA binds employee to work for the Employer till the Contract ends ?

thank you in advance
IRCC conducts background checks after ITA. If she is no longer with that employer after receiving ITA, she should expect IRCC to tell her she can no longer claim the 50 points and refuse her application. Possibly also some risk of a misrepresentation finding and a 5 year ban. If she wants to use the LMIA, she needs to remain with the employer until she has PR approved.

Reactions: vikasisrani

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hello

thank you in advance
She can, of course.

Will she have problems? Most likely yes, as @scylla explained that makes your friend not eligible for those 50 points.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello

thank you in advance
Be a problem that she’s manipulating the system ?
Yes

vikasisrani

Oct 2, 2015
Thank you
Scylla, Wolfpmd3 and Copingwithlife.

So She should not go for LMIA if she wants to leave the job.

one question for my own understanding,
Is LMIA a kind of a contract to emoloyer ?
that she has to work for that employer for specific time ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you
Scylla, Wolfpmd3 and Copingwithlife.

So She should not go for LMIA if she wants to leave the job.

one question for my own understanding,
Is LMIA a kind of a contract to emoloyer ?
that she has to work for that employer for specific time ?
No - it's not a contract. No - there is no requirement to be with the employer for a specific period of time.

However IRCC will expect her to still be working with this employer if she wants to claim the 50 points.

Deepak996

Mar 18, 2023
If anyone get pr approved and got COPR as well. Based on 50 points they got for lmia. Can they switch job after COPR.
thank you.

Deepak996

Mar 18, 2023
If anyone get pr approved and got COPR as well. Based on 50 points they got for lmia. Can they switch job after COPR. Just waiting on pr card.
thank you.

bytenaija

Nov 11, 2019
If anyone get pr approved and got COPR as well. Based on 50 points they got for lmia. Can they switch job after COPR. Just waiting on pr card.
thank you.
If you got your ecopr you are already a permanent resident and can switch job then