+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I leave Canada whilst waiting for PR application? (common-law sponsor beneficiary)

Jeffbythelake

Jun 28, 2024
Hi all, I'm a British citizen in Canada on an open work permit (OWP) through the International Experience Canada (IEC) pathway. My girlfriend (common-law) and I submitted my PR application this June 2024 and are wondering if I can leave Canada (for a vacation) and return with just an electronic travel authorization (eTA), whilst my PR application is pending. I ask this because my OWP expires February 2025, and I plan on leaving for vacation in June 2025.

Will I require another valid OWP upon return or will an eTA alone be sufficient? If a valid OWP is required, does anyone have experience on extending an OWP when under the IEC pathway?

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all, I'm a British citizen in Canada on an open work permit (OWP) through the International Experience Canada (IEC) pathway. My girlfriend (common-law) and I submitted my PR application this June 2024 and are wondering if I can leave Canada (for a vacation) and return with just an electronic travel authorization (eTA), whilst my PR application is pending. I ask this because my OWP expires February 2025, and I plan on leaving for vacation in June 2025.

Will I require another valid OWP upon return or will an eTA alone be sufficient? If a valid OWP is required, does anyone have experience on extending an OWP when under the IEC pathway?

Thank you!
Depends on how long you plan on leaving and whether you applied inland or Outland. If you have strong proof of your common law relationship then you likely will have PR by then. That may complicate traveling because you will need a PR card to return.

Jeffbythelake

Jun 28, 2024
Thank you all for replies so far!

You can enter with eTA, if you want to stay, you will need a visiter record or any other permit until you get PR.
According to the IRCC website, the visitor record is only authorized to workers in Canada who do not require a work permit. Unfortunately, after taking an eligibility questionnaire, I do not count as such. :(

Depends on how long you plan on leaving and whether you applied inland or Outland. If you have strong proof of your common law relationship then you likely will have PR by then. That may complicate traveling because you will need a PR card to return.
I plan to leave for 3 weeks (fingers crossed my boss will let me lol) and I applied inland (outside of QC specifically if it matters). If all goes smoothly and I have PR confirmation by June 2025, I was planning on having a PRTD upon re-entry.

For anyone in the future in this position:
I realise now that UK citizens are (currently) eligible for a second IEC - working holiday for a 12 months period (first instance was 24 months). So, I am going to try my luck in that stream as well as in the IEC - Young Professionals stream.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yup, that expires February 2025 and OWP doesn't give him the right to enter.
I missed the part about the OWP expiring before the OP travels. LOL!

However, if is was still valid...
https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1287&top=22

Can I leave and come back to Canada if I have a work permit?

Yes. However, a work permit isn’t a travel document. It doesn’t give you the right to travel to Canada. Along with your permit, you need either:
Having an eTA or a visa, along with your work permit, doesn’t guarantee that we will let you back into Canada. You must show the border services officer that you meet all the requirements before we will let you re-enter.
---

While it doesn't guarantee entry, it does mean that the OP could be allowed to enter, right?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you all for replies so far!

According to the IRCC website, the visitor record is only authorized to workers in Canada who do not require a work permit. Unfortunately, after taking an eligibility questionnaire, I do not count as such. :(

I plan to leave for 3 weeks (fingers crossed my boss will let me lol) and I applied inland (outside of QC specifically if it matters). If all goes smoothly and I have PR confirmation by June 2025, I was planning on having a PRTD upon re-entry.

For anyone in the future in this position:
I realise now that UK citizens are (currently) eligible for a second IEC - working holiday for a 12 months period (first instance was 24 months). So, I am going to try my luck in that stream as well as in the IEC - Young Professionals stream.
Processing is taking less than a year in most cases. pRTDs can sometimes take a while to obtain.