+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get my study permit at the airport with my current visa?

trinitypausch

Jul 2, 2023
Hi everyone,

After being admitted to a graduate program for Fall 2020, I deferred my Ph.D. offer to Spring 2021 and started it remotely due to the delay in obtaining my visa. I finally received my visa to study for my Ph.D. a few months later; however, I withdrew from my Ph.D. program at the university due to COVID-19 circumstances, so I could not land in Canada and attend the Graduate Program.

I was later offered the opportunity to reapply for the Fall 2023 Ph.D. program in the same department at the same university (DLI) by my potential supervisor.

Before beginning my application for a study permit, I submitted a webform in September to inquire whether I could use my current valid visa and letter of introduction for my new Ph.D. program. The response I received through my IRCC account was a letter providing an explanation, stating that:

"There is no need to re-apply, as your previous study permit is still valid and you should not have a problem getting your study permit when you arrive. However you will have to apply for a study permit extension in the future in order to complete your program."

Would you be able to inform me if it's possible for an officer at the airport to deport me, despite having a valid visa that was issued three years ago, along with a letter of introduction, a new admission letter, a new scholarship, and other necessary documents? Thank you kindly.