+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get my PGWP extended, got 1 year instead of 3! HELP!

Rooke

Jan 31, 2024
One year as you didn’t complete your first program. You need two completed programs to combine them.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I talked with an immigration consultant and he told me that I should submit all transcripts of my 2 years of studies and the certificate of completion from latest certificate. He has seen cases that clients get 3 years of pgwp.

His reasoning is that IRCC cares about these things:

1. You were full-time all while you were studying
2. Length of your total studies inside canada.

What is he basing this on?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for the quick reply.

I talked with an immigration consultant and he told me that I should submit all transcripts of my 2 years of studies and the certificate of completion from latest certificate. He has seen cases that clients get 3 years of pgwp.

His reasoning is that IRCC cares about these things:

1. You were full-time all while you were studying
2. Length of your total studies inside canada.

What is he basing this on?
The whole point of a PGWP is completion of a program.

You may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) if you graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI) and want to stay in Canada temporarily to work.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/about.html

Rooke

Jan 31, 2024
This is worrying.

Now I have a chance to apply for a certificate program back in the university which has some courses overlapped with the undergraduate program. It will take me one semester to finish this certificate.

Do you think this will allow me to apply for pgwp with all the certificates and transcripts and make it a 3year pgwp?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
This is worrying.

Now I have a chance to apply for a certificate program back in the university which has some courses overlapped with the undergraduate program. It will take me one semester to finish this certificate.

Do you think this will allow me to apply for pgwp with all the certificates and transcripts and make it a 3year pgwp?
So you will have two completed programs or one two-year completed program? The word is completed. Read the link.

If you completed more than 1 program

You may be able to get a PGWP that combines the length of each program.

Each of the programs you completed must be

• PGWP eligible and
  • at least 8 months (or 900 hours for Quebec credentials) in length

Reactions: Rooke

Rooke

Jan 31, 2024
So you will have two completed programs or one two-year completed program? The word is completed. Read the link.

If you completed more than 1 program

• PGWP eligible and
I will have completed two separate 1 year programs then.
I am wondering why the immigration consultant I talked with told me that the length of education matters. So just submit one year certificate and 2years worth of all the transcripts showing that I studied 2 years of education. Regardless whether I received any completion certificate from the first one.

Is there any immigration consultant you would suggest I should call? I am in Saskatchewan.

aniket1924

Jul 8, 2024
I did one plus one year program from jan 2023 to april 2024, but two days back i got just one year of pgwp, i checked all the documents and application which i gave at the time of application, everything is correct with proper Letter of explanation with dates and DLI
i know few more classmates and friends from my and other college who got the same issue

If anyone facing same issue
Please connect

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I did one plus one year program from jan 2023 to april 2024, but two days back i got just one year of pgwp, i checked all the documents and application which i gave at the time of application, everything is correct with proper Letter of explanation with dates and DLI
i know few more classmates and friends from my and other college who got the same issue

If anyone facing same issue
Please connect
What are the dates and length for each program?

See rules about two programs.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/about.html

• PGWP eligible and
You can’t get a PGWP if you already had one after completing an earlier program of study.

aniket1924

Jul 8, 2024
What are the dates and length for each program?

See rules about two programs.

• PGWP eligible and
You can’t get a PGWP if you already had one after completing an earlier program of study.

First course from 6 jan 2023 to 8 aug 2023 and the other one is 6 September 2023 to 8 may 2024

I know many of my classmates got 3 years of PGWP, they also did thr same thing, also i included my LOC and transcripts with letter of explanation.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
First course from 6 jan 2023 to 8 aug 2023 and the other one is 6 September 2023 to 8 may 2024

I know many of my classmates got 3 years of PGWP, they also did thr same thing, also i included my LOC and transcripts with letter of explanation.
You can ask for reconsideration, but IRCC may or may not reopen your file. I think IRCC is now following its PGWP rules so maybe even ask for a PGWP that combines that two programs. In the meantime, make sure you get a skilled job or are eligible for a PNP so you can maximize your one year of Canadian work experience.

Selva_pillai

Jul 23, 2024
My course was a 16 month program with no scheduled breaks. I got only 1 year pgwp instead of 3 . Whereas my friends got 3 years . I have raised a web form and sent it for reconsideration.. it has been 5 months since . Is anyone in the same situation

Minhajkhan1

Aug 6, 2024
Hi Selva, apply by sending hardcopy, not online. Same method as you'd do for a passport renewal. I was in the same situation and I got my new workpermit recently :) Dont worry