+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I enter Canada with PR visa in my passport without actually landing?

dfb

Star Member
Jul 23, 2008
I am an American and I currently live in Canada on a work permit valid through Dec 2010. I just got my PR visa and was planning to land next time I return to Canada following travel to the US. The problem is, with the holidays coming up, I have three trips to the US planned over November and December. If I land when I return from my first trip in early November, it sounds like I wont get my PR card in time for my next trip (American Thanksgiving) or even my third trip (Christmas)? I am flying for each of these trips.

If I don't land, I can just keep travelling on my work permit - but will they let me do this?? Once I return from my trip at Christmas, I don't expect to need to travel again for 6 or 8 weeks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dfb said:
I am an American and I currently live in Canada on a work permit valid through Dec 2010. I just got my PR visa and was planning to land next time I return to Canada following travel to the US. The problem is, with the holidays coming up, I have three trips to the US planned over November and December. If I land when I return from my first trip in early November, it sounds like I wont get my PR card in time for my next trip (American Thanksgiving) or even my third trip (Christmas)? I am flying for each of these trips.

If I don't land, I can just keep travelling on my work permit - but will they let me do this?? Once I return from my trip at Christmas, I don't expect to need to travel again for 6 or 8 weeks.
You can "land' anytime you want as long as the COPR is valid.

PMM

dfb

Star Member
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks PMM. I guess the question is - if I have the PR visa in my passport, am I required to land on my next entry or can I wait? Is this going to cause problems?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dfb said:
Thanks PMM. I guess the question is - if I have the PR visa in my passport, am I required to land on my next entry or can I wait? Is this going to cause problems?
No, you can land, as I said at any time.

PMM