+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I enter Canada with a one way ticket and buy a return once I'm there?

Phil_Taylor

Feb 24, 2010
I'm visiting Canada over summer for just over 3 months.

I only have a one way ticket as I intend to purchase my return ticket in Canada as my girlfriend is travelling back with me.

What kind of problems will this cause at immigration and will I have trouble boarding the plane in England?

Please Help !!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Phil_Taylor said:
I'm visiting Canada over summer for just over 3 months.

I only have a one way ticket as I intend to purchase my return ticket in Canada as my girlfriend is travelling back with me.

What kind of problems will this cause at immigration and will I have trouble boarding the plane in England?

Please Help !!
If you are not a Canadian nor a PR, you may have problems boarding the flight as if you are refused, the airline is responsible for returning you. Save yourself aggravation buy a return.

PMM

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Buy a return, make sure that the return flight date can be changed - changing a lower priced ticket on Air Canada costs about $150.

Dec 11, 2009
From my personal experience. I flew to Canada from Gatwick with not return ticket. I am an Italian Citizen. I was never asked about return ticket either when I left England and when I arrived to Canada.

I am not recommending you do something a certain way, I am just telling you from my own personal experience.

Hope42010

Star Member
Oct 15, 2009
Brazil
Citizens from no visa requirement countries are not required to have returning tickets, look at visa section of Canada embassy BUT you have to prove that you have money to buy it.

Sugestion, buy a two way ticket with open date it will cost less then buying two.

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am just going to speak from my own experience but please remember all experiences are different since the determination is always at the discretion of the IO.

When I flew to Canada, I did not have a return ticket but I did have my bf with me. They did not ask me for proof of my return but still wanted to know when I expected to be traveling back. Then they were interested in how I would support myself. I told them that my bf's family was letting me stay with them and that they would be taking care of me. While I was in the office, apparently they had went outside to talk to his parents and make sure that information was indeed correct so make sure you have a story to back you up. Generally though as long as you proof you have no intent to overstay, that you are aware of the visitor terms, that you will obey those terms, and you have some financial support with money to return home then should be fine.

Once again remember every IO and experience is different. If you aren't flying with a return ticket then I would advice that you bring proof of your ties back home. This could include but not limited to: bank statements, bills, house lease, rental agreement, letter from employer expecting your return, appointment letter from a doctor, etc. Don't show all this to them unless asked. They may ask and they may not. But best to be prepared for the worst anyway even if it does turn out for the best.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
The fail-safe method is to buy a fully-refundable one-way ticket from Canada to the UK. Then, once in Canada, cash it in for a refund. This is a strategy used frequently by tourists going to Costa Rica (the details are not relevant to this topic).

Smithontour

Aug 13, 2012
I am due to fly out on Saturday on a one way ticket with sunwing. Fingers crossed they wont ask me for a return ticket, or immigration.

BUT, I had this kind of experience before when I was flying to Brazil from Germany with Condor. They would not let me check in as I only had a one way ticket. So I had to buy a ticket whilst in the airport, ended up getting scammed by a dodgy travel agent and lost the money. Anyway, it was the airline that stopped me.

This time, I am thinking about buying a ticket out of Canada, probably to the US just to show that I have one, just incase. Do you guys think buying a ticket to the US would be enough for immigration if asked? I have the funds to prove i have money, so hopefully that would be enough to convince the immigration that I will return, which of course I plan on doing, but just not sure exactly when.

Thanks!

larryUK

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
Just buy a return, they are way cheaper anyway than buying a single at least flying Air Canada, singles cost like double the price! (how does that work??). Then you can change the return date to suit, Air Canada charge a $200 change fee + any difference in fare which there usually there isn't so really it's not too bad, way cheaper than buying 2 singles and least you land at your POE with a return ticket.

bcollins

Jan 30, 2013
Hey

I had very similar concerns when I myself went to Canada on a one-way ticket in March 2012.

I myself had no problems with the officials, though I was asked a fair few questions on what I was doing in Canada. You can read my experience in full, here: thegingerrevolution.com/2012/03/passport-please.html

However, like previous posts have said, every case is different and there is no guarantee. I'd recommend however taking proof of finances, intentions etc along with any proof of existing ties at home (rent/mortgages/jobs etc).

Good luck

Jul 5, 2016
Hi ✌
I'm flying from Canada to Ukraine this September by my return ticket, but I got work permit till April 2018 and going to fly back here , so I want to by one way ticket (because have no idea when I'm going to visit again) and it's also a bit cheaper to buy it "Canada- UA, UA-Canada "
So question is : am I going to have problems with entering Canada ?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
AnnaKasianenko said:
Hi ✌
I'm flying from Canada to Ukraine this September by my return ticket, but I got work permit till April 2018 and going to fly back here , so I want to by one way ticket (because have no idea when I'm going to visit again) and it's also a bit cheaper to buy it "Canada- UA, UA-Canada "
So question is : am I going to have problems with entering Canada ?
If you can show a valid work permit, then it should be OK.