+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAN I DO REAL ESTATE COURSES WHILE I ON A PGWP

myster

Jan 7, 2015
Hello,

I hope someone can help me with this...

I graduated Brock University in June 2015, and received my Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) in December 2015. I was informed by both a CIC agent and an agent from RECO that if I had a valid work permit I would be able to take the real estate courses required to become a real estate agent in Ontario without a study permit. However, once I received my permit it stated "Unless Authorized, [I am] prohibited from attending any educational institution, or taking any academic, professional or vocational training courses". Does this include real estate courses? Would I need a study permit as well in order to do these courses?

The courses would be less than 6 months and I would only get a license at the end of it (so not a designation or anything like that).

I will be calling CIC again tomorrow but as I usually get different answers depending on the agent I was hoping someone on here might have some information for me... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

A

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you can do it because it's less than six months.

luvanuj

Jul 14, 2011
Toronto
myster said:
Hello,

I graduated Brock University in June 2015, and received my Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) in December 2015. I was informed by both a CIC agent and an agent from RECO that if I had a valid work permit I would be able to take the real estate courses required to become a real estate agent in Ontario without a study permit. However, once I received my permit it stated "Unless Authorized, [I am] prohibited from attending any educational institution, or taking any academic, professional or vocational training courses". Does this include real estate courses? Would I need a study permit as well in order to do these courses?

The courses would be less than 6 months and I would only get a license at the end of it (so not a designation or anything like that).

I will be calling CIC again tomorrow but as I usually get different answers depending on the agent I was hoping someone on here might have some information for me... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

A
The length of the program coursework itself comprises 295 hours (i.e. 9 weeks) to complete. However, students have up to 18 months from the start date of the Pre-registration Segment i.e. the first course Real Estate as a Professional Career, to complete the Pre-registration courses. After completion of the Pre-registration Segment and prior to commencement of the Articling Segment, students have up to 12 months to obtain employment with a brokerage and get registered with RECO. The Articling Segment is a mandatory 2 year period and the courses in the Articling Segment must be completed within this 2 year period. Therefore, given the above, students may take upwards of 120 weeks to complete the program in its entirety.

^ will the articling segment count as a course ? or just as a work

smilepanpan

Jan 25, 2017
Hi,

I have the same question as you. Did you contact cic already and can you share the results with us? Thanks.

Amy

sakshikapoor

Apr 25, 2020
Hello. I have a question, I completed my 2 year business Admin Diploma in April 2020 and right now i am on 3 year PGWP with a full time job. I am planning to get a real estate license - Can someone please help out that am i eligible to study while on PGWP as my work permit says "Unless Authorized, [I am] prohibited from attending any educational institution, or taking any academic, professional or vocational training courses".

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Yes - you can do it because it's less than six months.
Isn't that for visitor visa holders? His permit is explicitly stopping it. So does mine. I was wondering too, if it is fine.

Urjitadavada

Dec 27, 2020
Hello, I was wondering the same, did you end up finding out if you can or not?
Hello,

Thanks!

A
was