+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I come to Canada as a visitor status even if my student permit hasn't expired?

drugsrbad

Jul 23, 2020
As Canada is going to open border for the vaccinated on September 7, can I come as a visitor even if I have a study permit. I come from a visa-exempt country and I have already finished all my studies. But my student permit may not have expired.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What do you mean your study permit “may not” have expired. Borders are only open for visitors who meet specific entry requirements after September 7. It is not open for tourism. When did you finish your studies - date of last exam for example.

Reactions: novascotia27

drugsrbad

Jul 23, 2020
What do you mean your study permit “may not” have expired. Borders are only open for visitors who meet specific entry requirements after September 7. It is not open for tourism. When did you finish your studies - date of last exam for example.
But last I heard that they are open for all vaccinated travellers after September 7, it doesn’t specify say any requirements

drugsrbad

Jul 23, 2020
It is not open for all people. It says under specific requirements - COPR, study/work permits etc. Leisure/tourism is not open for travellers.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/visitors-workers-students
It's just the current restriction, they will ease restrictions for all fully vaccinated travelers after September 7
please see the following link:
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

it said:
Fully vaccinated foreign nationals may be allowed to enter Canada for discretionary (non-essential) travel on specific dates:

• August 9, 2021: American citizens and permanent residents of the United States, who currently reside in and will be travelling from the U.S., and who qualify as fully vaccinated
  • September 7, 2021 (tentative): All other foreign nationals who qualify as fully vaccinated

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It's just the current restriction, they will ease restrictions for all fully vaccinated travelers after September 7
please see the following link:
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

it said:
Fully vaccinated foreign nationals may be allowed to enter Canada for discretionary (non-essential) travel on specific dates:

• August 9, 2021: American citizens and permanent residents of the United States, who currently reside in and will be travelling from the U.S., and who qualify as fully vaccinated
  • September 7, 2021 (tentative): All other foreign nationals who qualify as fully vaccinated
So what are your reasons for entering? Use the forms and it will tell you.

drugsrbad

Jul 23, 2020
You never said your were a Hong Kong resident.
I want to clarify one thing first, is the is Canada really open in September 7 for all vaccinated travelers? I check the IRCC and they do not specify whether it is essential or non essential travel or not.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I want to clarify one thing first, is the is Canada really open in September 7 for all vaccinated travelers? I check the IRCC and they do not specify whether it is essential or non essential travel or not.
It is not open for all vaccinated travellers. There are conditions. The site you posted above gives you the link to go through if you are eligible to enter.

Reactions: OlaE

drugsrbad

Jul 23, 2020
It is not open for all vaccinated travellers. There are conditions. The site you posted above gives you the link to go through if you are eligible to enter.
The link is for now, and they may ease travel restriction on September 7, do you understand?

drugsrbad

Jul 23, 2020
The link to see if you are eligible is about whether you are egligible to enter Canada NOW, I am asking about whether I am eligible after September 7.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The link to see if you are eligible is about whether you are egligible to enter Canada NOW, I am asking about whether I am eligible after September 7.
Follow the requirements on the arriveCan app and it may be possible. Things may change as the variant and cases increase in several provinces.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Regarding to your study permit:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit.html

3. If you finish your studies before your study permit expires
If you finish your studies early, your permit will stop being valid 90 days after you complete your studies, no matter what day is printed on the study permit.

You’ve completed your studies on the date your school first notifies you by completion letter, transcript, degree or diploma.