28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your answer.
I am a bit confused. I do have a valid job offer with a job that does not need LMIA ( It is exempt). Why would I need LMIA? Also, the PGWP is LMIA exempt.
Can you explain it more?
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=698&top=29
Did you read through the link you quoted? Specifically:

But, a valid job offer supported by an LMIA can get you more points under the Comprehensive Ranking System. This can improve your chances of being invited to apply. So in that case, your employer may want to get an LMIA, even though you don’t need it to be eligible.

What you have is not classified as a valid job offer under Express Entry.

You are on an open work permit with no employer named. The only way you can claim the 50 job offer points on a PGWP / open work permit is if your employer gets an approved LMIA. The only way you can claim the 50 points without the approved LMIA is if you are on a closed work permit (with the employer named) and you first work for that employer for a year in Canada on that work permit. These are basic and well known rules. The question you have asked is covered extensively on this forum. You don't qualify for the 50 points.

Reactions: EscoBlades

kyoussef

Star Member
Oct 10, 2019
Did you read through the link you quoted? Specifically:

But, a valid job offer supported by an LMIA can get you more points under the Comprehensive Ranking System. This can improve your chances of being invited to apply. So in that case, your employer may want to get an LMIA, even though you don’t need it to be eligible.

What you have is not classified as a valid job offer under Express Entry.

You are on an open work permit with no employer named. The only way you can claim the 50 job offer points on a PGWP / open work permit is if your employer gets an approved LMIA. The only way you can claim the 50 points without the approved LMIA is if you are on a closed work permit (with the employer named) and you first work for that employer for a year in Canada on that work permit. These are basic and well known rules. The question you have asked is covered extensively on this forum. You don't qualify for the 50 points.
Thank you for your reply. I read the link very well.
I understand the job offer to be valid should follow the points mentioned in that link
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=695&top=29
According to that link,
In most cases, a valid job offer must be supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). The employer has to apply for one from Employment and Social Development Canada/Service Canada.

If they get a positive LMIA, they must give you a copy and a written job offer.

In some cases, your employer does not need an LMIA to support your job offer. “My job is LMIA exempt and I can ask the employer to apply for LMIA and proof that it is exempt”
So, as you mentioned, “The only way you can claim the 50 job offer points on a PGWP / open work permit is if your employer gets an approved LMIA.” Why would the employer need LMIA if the job is LMIA exempt?
I am new to this and trying to understand.
Thank you again for your reply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your reply. I read the link very well.
I understand the job offer to be valid should follow the points mentioned in that link
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=695&top=29
According to that link,
In most cases, a valid job offer must be supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). The employer has to apply for one from Employment and Social Development Canada/Service Canada.

If they get a positive LMIA, they must give you a copy and a written job offer.

In some cases, your employer does not need an LMIA to support your job offer. “My job is LMIA exempt and I can ask the employer to apply for LMIA and proof that it is exempt”
So, as you mentioned, “The only way you can claim the 50 job offer points on a PGWP / open work permit is if your employer gets an approved LMIA.” Why would the employer need LMIA if the job is LMIA exempt?
I am new to this and trying to understand.
Thank you again for your reply.
Because that's how the Express Entry program works. Different rules apply.

I'm not sure how I can help further at this point. You're not entitled to the job offer points unless your employer secures an approved LMIA.

kyoussef

Star Member
Oct 10, 2019
Because that's how the Express Entry program works. Different rules apply.

I'm not sure how I can help further at this point. You're not entitled to the job offer points unless your employer secures an approved LMIA.
Thank you.. then I will ask them to go with the LMIA process. I just need the LMIA number even if I have a PGWP not a closed WP. Did I get it right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you.. then I will ask them to go with the LMIA process. I just need the LMIA number even if I have a PGWP not a closed WP. Did I get it right?
Yes - because you are on a PGWP (which is an open work permit), you need an approved LMIA if you want to be able to claim the 50 points for having a job offer.

Praytent

Dec 16, 2021
Hello,
I am on a PGWP and have a full time job in Canada. For express entry can i claim valid job offer even though my employer is not getting an LMIA for the job? Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I am on a PGWP and have a full time job in Canada. For express entry can i claim valid job offer even though my employer is not getting an LMIA for the job? Thanks
No - you cannot.

arefin4414

Oct 18, 2022
I am on PGWP working for an employer for more than a year.
question1: If my employer gets me a LMIA, but no new job offer can I claim the 50 points?
question2: if my employer gets me a new job offer with LMIA, then would I loose my pgwp by accepting that job offer? Means will that convert my pgwp to LMIA work permit?

Reactions: Samirpanara86

Samirpanara86

Sep 11, 2020
I have the same question. I have been working for the same employer for already one year on my PGWP. But my employer told me he has LMIA job offer. So is job offer LMIA should be processed before I start working for the same employer to get 50 points or I can claim that points even though I didn’t work on LMIA closed work permit. I mean can I show the LMIA letter with 1 year work experience on PGWP? Is LMIA letter common for the all employees working in the same store or business or LMIA is specific for the each employee? Eg if lmia is issued for me so my name will be written on it, occupation, hours, pay. In short I want to know that: I worked on my PGWP for 1 year without any proof of lmia. and I’m going to apply for pr under CEC and I will ask my employer to give me LMIA letter. He agrees to give me so can I update LMIA letter with my one year experience on PGWP? And claim 50 points??? Please anyone knows better give me some suggestions. Hope your suggestions help me a lot

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can we get job offer points if we show the LMIA later after working on pgwp and my employer is ready to give me LMIA?
I'm not sure I understand your question. If your employer gets an approved LMIA, then you can claim the 50 points.

Faruk073

Aug 2, 2024
Vancouver
Currently, I am in PGWP in Canada. I have 1.5 more years of validity in my work permit. I already have work experience at TEER 3 level in the financial sector. I got LMIA approval for a restaurant. I have been working here for almost 7 months, still working. My question is - is it required to work at least a year in my LMIA-approved employer to count 50 points in the Canadian experience class?