+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I change non-accompanying spouse to accompanying after I got OPR?

TinyNono

Jul 15, 2024
Hello Everyone,

Looking for your advices with many many thanks!

Background Scenario:
1. I was applying for PR via self-employed program and got my OPR 20 days ago.
2. I listed my husband as a non-accompanying spouse during the process but now he wants to move to Canada with me.
3. My husband had finished medical check and provided all materials that visa officers required during the assessing process. Both of us had paid the application fee.

My quesion and choices:
A. I can ask the immigration office to change my husband from "non-accompanying" to "accompanying" and reassess if both of us could get approval. This may take more time (nobody knows how long) and there maybe some unknown risks? to even endanger my own visa?
B. I can get my visa now and sponsor my husband in the future. This may take about one year, and we'll have to do the application process all over again.

What should I do now?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello Everyone,

Looking for your advices with many many thanks!

Background Scenario:
1. I was applying for PR via self-employed program and got my OPR 20 days ago.
2. I listed my husband as a non-accompanying spouse during the process but now he wants to move to Canada with me.
3. My husband had finished medical check and provided all materials that visa officers required during the assessing process. Both of us had paid the application fee.

My quesion and choices:
A. I can ask the immigration office to change my husband from "non-accompanying" to "accompanying" and reassess if both of us could get approval. This may take more time (nobody knows how long) and there maybe some unknown risks? to even endanger my own visa?
B. I can get my visa now and sponsor my husband in the future. This may take about one year, and we'll have to do the application process all over again.

What should I do now?
You already list your 2 choices. It's up to you to decide.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My quesion and choices:
Spousal sponsorship is rather straightforward in most cases, and since spouse will have done recently, may not actually take that long. Plus your spouse can apply for TRV and work permit once arrives (although be aware there are delays there as well). [Of course no guarantee he will get the TRV]

It is up to you - depends how much you value certainty and being apart for a while.