+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply PR for my 1 year old child and after submission of the application travel out of Canada?

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
Hello, I understand that in order to sponsor my child for Canada PR, I must reside within Canada. Once the submission process is complete, and we enter the waiting period, can I travel outside of Canada for some time (work or personal reason) to return back? Physical presence in Canada is for applying the PR or not? I have my own PR. Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, I understand that in order to sponsor my child for Canada PR, I must reside within Canada. Once the submission process is complete, and we enter the waiting period, can I travel outside of Canada for some time (work or personal reason) to return back? Physical presence in Canada is for applying the PR or not? I have my own PR. Thanks
A PR-sponsor must be resident in Canada. Short trips are okay. They do not define short trips. Less than a month is almost certainly safe. Beyond that, it may be a risk, and no-one knows how much of one.

You can, of course, apply for a TRV for the child and if granted, return together.

Reactions: Abhi1982

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
A PR-sponsor must be resident in Canada. Short trips are okay. They do not define short trips. Less than a month is almost certainly safe. Beyond that, it may be a risk, and no-one knows how much of one.

You can, of course, apply for a TRV for the child and if granted, return together.
Thankyou for your response. Yes, I am looking at short trips of under 1 month sometimes. Thats going to be to the US, where my family will be staying until they join me. Would you happen to know roughly how long does the PR process take for a toddler child? Rest of my family has their PR. Child is US born.

I heard it can take 6 to 12 months.
Thankyou

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thankyou for your response. Yes, I am looking at short trips of under 1 month sometimes. Thats going to be to the US, where my family will be staying until they join me. Would you happen to know roughly how long does the PR process take for a toddler child? Rest of my family has their PR. Child is US born.

Thankyou
I do not know beyond that estimate. Note that if the child has a US passport, can enter Canada without a visa.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thankyou
A trip of under a month may be overlooked but you seem to be insinuating a longer amount of time over the sponsorship period. Are you living and working in Canada?

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thankyou for your response. Yes, I am looking at short trips of under 1 month sometimes. Thats going to be to the US, where my family will be staying until they join me.
If you're talking about more frequent shorter trips, perhaps unlikely to have issues.

If it's a more complicated situation where you're not actually settled in Canada, who knows how they may approach. They can delay things if not clear.

An example may be if you're not working in Canada.

Anyway, that's speculation on my part, but I think you can see the point.