+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply PGWP on implied status?

MSU

Dec 2, 2016
Hi All,

I am finishing my master's degree soon and planning to apply for my post graduate work permit (PGWP) after that, which requires a valid study permit i believe. However, Currently I am on implied status (Applied for the study permit extension last Aug for one semester, still waiting for a decision). Your insights on my below queries will be highly appriciated:

1. Can I apply PGWP on implied status (while waiting to receive decision for study permit extension) ?

2. If I can apply now, Can I work full time right after my PGWP application submission? According to the IRCC website, I can work full time after my PGWP application (before getting that in hand). I can meet all the criteria mentioned there except the valid study permit (have implied status). I am about to get a job offer starting January. What are my options ??

3. If I apply now for PGWP (where I am still waiting for my study permit extension) are there any chance of complications?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

-MSU

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
MSU said:
Hi All,

I am finishing my master's degree soon and planning to apply for my post graduate work permit (PGWP) after that, which requires a valid study permit i believe. However, Currently I am on implied status (Applied for the study permit extension last Aug for one semester, still waiting for a decision). Your insights on my below queries will be highly appriciated:

1. Can I apply PGWP on implied status (while waiting to receive decision for study permit extension) ?

When does your study permit expires?? Because you do need to show that you have a valid study permit.

2. If I can apply now, Can I work full time right after my PGWP application submission? According to the IRCC website, I can work full time after my PGWP application (before getting that in hand). I can meet all the criteria mentioned there except the valid study permit (have implied status). I am about to get a job offer starting January. What are my options ??

You can work full time even as a student because you are allowed to work 40 hrs a week due to on being break if you have a valid study permit. So Technically, you can because you are waiting for a response on your study permit.

3. If I apply now for PGWP (where I am still waiting for my study permit extension) are there any chance of complications?
In order for you to apply for PGWP, you must show a valid study permit along with letter of completion and transcripts from school. So yeah there might be complications....

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

-MSU

MSU

Dec 2, 2016
Hi Wonderland_1010,
Thank you for your reply. My study permit has been expired on last August and I applied for my extension 26 days before the expiry date. Still waiting for the sp extension approval :( . Thus, currently I am on implied status. I can show the letter of completion and transcripts but I don't have a valid study permit right now. Can I apply?

One query about the 40 hours work: If I complete my degree and and wait some days to apply for the PGWP (wait is just because of the implied status and expecting to receive the SP extension approval), will that period count as a break?

Thank you.
MSU

macIndia

Star Member
Oct 13, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
L-7.5, R- 7, S-7,W-7
MSU said:
Hi Wonderland_1010,
Thank you for your reply. My study permit has been expired on last August and I applied for my extension 26 days before the expiry date. Still waiting for the sp extension approval :( . Thus, currently I am on implied status. I can show the letter of completion and transcripts but I don't have a valid study permit right now. Can I apply?

One query about the 40 hours work: If I complete my degree and and wait some days to apply for the PGWP (wait is just because of the implied status and expecting to receive the SP extension approval), will that period count as a break?

Thank you.
MSU
One requirement to apply for PGWP is that you need to have the valid study permit. When are you expected to graduate ?

did you call cic why is it taking long for them to process your study permit extension? was it paper baased or online ? normally, if it passes the regular processing time, you are entitled to call them and ask for status.
if you don't hear back. book an appointment with local CIC office.

MSU

Dec 2, 2016
macIndia said:
One requirement to apply for PGWP is that you need to have the valid study permit. When are you expected to graduate ?

did you call cic why is it taking long for them to process your study permit extension? was it paper baased or online ? normally, if it passes the regular processing time, you are entitled to call them and ask for status.
if you don't hear back. book an appointment with local CIC office.
Thank you macIndia for your reply. I know that a valid study permit is the requirement for PGWP application that's why I would like to know whether I can apply for PGWP or not on implied status. I am expecting to be graduated by this Dec or latest early January. Yes I applied online and I have been waiting 4 times longer than the normal processing time. I called IRCC/CIC call centre twice and also made a case specific inquiry asking about the update of my application. All I got informed is that my file is in process (which I am also seeing today via online status of my application). Today I called them again and have learned that it is under review and they can't give me any timeframe for my decision.

How can I book an appointment with local CIC office? Will it makes the process faster or it will be just to know the actual reason for the delay?

Thank you.

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
26-10-2016 (1st AOR) / 01-12-2016 (BOWP - 2nd AOR)
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
You have to apply within 90 days of your official graduation date (not the date of your degree) and you have to have a valid study permit. If you are out of 90 days you won't be eligible for PGWP.

"You must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation (for example, a transcript or an official letter) from your institution indicating that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

If you are still enrolled in the program wait until graduation, and hopefully you will get your extended study permit as well at the time.

As you apply for PGWP you can start working full-time.

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
This a self-assesment tool for checking if you can work as a student.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-assess.asp

MSU

Dec 2, 2016
Hi neorol,
I appreciate your feedback. would you please comments on my red lines below?

neorol said:
You have to apply within 90 days of your official graduation date (not the date of your degree) and you have to have a valid study permit. If you are out of 90 days you won't be eligible for PGWP.

"You must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation (for example, a transcript or an official letter) from your institution indicating that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program"

If you are still enrolled in the program wait until graduation, and hopefully you will get your extended study permit as well at the time.
I am enrolled till Dec 31, 2016. let's say I receive my official written confirmation for completing my academic program by 1st/2nd week of january and still don't get the study permit extension decision, Can I apply PGWP then?

As you apply for PGWP you can start working full-time.

Will that be also applicable if I have to apply on implied status?
Best regards,
MSU

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
MSU said:
Hi neorol,
I appreciate your feedback. would you please comments on my red lines below?

Best regards,
MSU
I think this situation is specific, I can just tell my opinion, or what I would do. I wouldn't apply on implied status since CIC website says you have to have a valid study permit and implied status is not a valid study permit. I wouldn't take the risk, maybe someone would. I wouldn't recommend it for sure. After graduation confirmation you have 90 days to apply, I'm pretty sure you will receive a decision on your study permit extension in that period. What is your study permit extension based on? Is there any chance that it would be refused? Is it a reasonable application? Why has your permit expired if you are still enrolled in the program?

Another useful link:

"Final academic session transition from off-campus work permits to post-graduation work permits

Students can apply for a post-graduation work permit during the 90-day transition period following the completion of their program of study (i.e., the date on which they receive a notification of completion) if they fulfil all of the requirements for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP).
They can continue to work off campus provided that they hold a valid study permit and have applied for a work permit under the PGWPP.
They may be a part-time student if the course load required to complete their program of study during the final academic session is part-time.
Students must cease working if their work permit application under the PGWPP is refused."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/work-off-campus.asp (conditions for work)

MSU

Dec 2, 2016
neorol said:
I think this situation is specific, I can just tell my opinion, or what I would do. I wouldn't apply on implied status since CIC website says you have to have a valid study permit and implied status is not a valid study permit. I wouldn't take the risk, maybe someone would. I wouldn't recommend it for sure. After graduation confirmation you have 90 days to apply, I'm pretty sure you will receive a decision on your study permit extension in that period. What is your study permit extension based on? Is there any chance that it would be refused? Is it a reasonable application? Why has your permit expired if you are still enrolled in the program?

Another useful link:

"Final academic session transition from off-campus work permits to post-graduation work permits

Students can apply for a post-graduation work permit during the 90-day transition period following the completion of their program of study (i.e., the date on which they receive a notification of completion) if they fulfil all of the requirements for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP).
They can continue to work off campus provided that they hold a valid study permit and have applied for a work permit under the PGWPP.
They may be a part-time student if the course load required to complete their program of study during the final academic session is part-time.
Students must cease working if their work permit application under the PGWPP is refused."

(conditions for work)
Thank you again for your opinion. My study permit is based on my full-time master's program. Yes it is a reasonable application. My study permit was approved from Sep 14- Aug 16 (where Fall 2014 was my starting date), however I deffered one semester and arrived here in Canada in January 15 to start my masters. My degree completion date is Dec 16 and this is why I am enrolled and applied for 1 semester extension on last Aug.

Would you please put your opinion on this: If I get my degree completion letter by mid January and I have to wait for the extension application/PGWP application for that, Can I work (at least part time to survive) during that waiting period?

Regards.
MSU

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
MSU said:
Thank you again for your opinion. My study permit is based on my full-time master's program. Yes it is a reasonable application. My study permit was approved from Sep 14- Aug 16 (where Fall 2014 was my starting date), however I deffered one semester and arrived here in Canada in January 15 to start my masters. My degree completion date is Dec 16 and this is why I am enrolled and applied for 1 semester extension on last Aug.

Would you please put your opinion on this: If I get my degree completion letter by mid January and I have to wait for the extension application/PGWP application for that, Can I work (at least part time to survive) during that waiting period?

Regards.
MSU
What does your expired study permit say about off-campus work? Or did you receive a letter of "confirmation to work off-campus" ?

MSU

Dec 2, 2016
neorol said:
What does your expired study permit say about off-campus work? Or did you receive a letter of "confirmation to work off-campus" ?
My expired study permit says that I may work 20 hours off-campus or full-time during regular breaks........

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
MSU said:
My expired study permit says that I may work 20 hours off-campus or full-time during regular breaks........
Could you please quote the exact sentence or paragraph?

tap7

Oct 10, 2017
I am on implied status as student and applying for PGWP. Can i work full time after getting my study permit during PGWP processing.?? After approval my study permit will be valid till November as my CAQ is valid till november.

Arun105

Sep 29, 2020
I am on implied status as student and applying for PGWP. Can i work full time after getting my study permit during PGWP processing.?? After approval my study permit will be valid till November as my CAQ is valid till november.
I am in the same boat.
Please tell me if you heard back from them.