+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for Spousal Sponsorship before landing

manharnarang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2015
Hi All,

I have recently got my PR and am planning to land in April 2016. My wife is currently in US pursuing her research. When I applied in Express Entry, I mentioned that my wife would not be accompanying.

1. Can I now tell the visa office that I want her "Accompanying" now?
2. If no, i suppose i would need to apply for spousal sponsorship. Can i submit her sponsorship application before reaching canada?

Kindly suggest.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your questions have already been answered many many times. I'm not sure why you are asking the same question yet again.

1. Yes.
2. No.

manharnarang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2015
scylla said:
Your questions have already been answered many many times. I'm not sure why you are asking the same question yet again.

1. Yes.
2. No.
Hi Scylla,

The first question had mixed responses. I still have not got any decisive answer for the question. Many people are saying YES for it and many are saying NO.

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
scylla said:

1. Yes.
2. No.
Scylla meant yes because as you have not "landed yet" you can amend your application and add your wife as accompanying - only thing is it might delay, which won't be an issue as you are landing in April anyways.

No because You can't sponsor your wife while outside Canada as a PR, only citizens can do that and they will have to show intent to return to Canada. If in doubt check CIC website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp

If I live outside Canada, may I sponsor?

If you are a Canadian citizen, you may sponsor a spouse, a common-law partner or conjugal partner, or a dependent child who has no children of his or her own. However, you must demonstrate that you will live in Canada when the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.

Note: Permanent residents residing abroad may not sponsor from outside of Canada. Canadian citizens travelling as tourists are not considered to be residing abroad.
Sponsorship eligibility

The former is easier and saves time - which I believe you have. Or once you land, you have to go through the spousal sponsorship process which can be frustrating.
*Mandie*

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
And to add to that... You are not 'technically' a PR until you 'land' so really you have no room to manouver as a sponsor as at now...
*Mandie*

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
manharnarang said:
Hi Scylla,

The first question had mixed responses. I still have not got any decisive answer for the question. Many people are saying YES for it and many are saying NO.
If you are getting mixed answers, then please continue asking in your existing threads rather than creating new ones.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
manharnarang said:
Hi All,

I have recently got my PR and am planning to land in April 2016. My wife is currently in US pursuing her research. When I applied in Express Entry, I mentioned that my wife would not be accompanying.

1. Can I now tell the visa office that I want her "Accompanying" now?
2. If no, i suppose i would need to apply for spousal sponsorship. Can i submit her sponsorship application before reaching canada?

Kindly suggest.
1) Yes you can change your wife to accompanying, however you then cannot land until your wife's COPR has been issued.

2) You can land as PR as long as your wife is still listed as Non-accompany. However you would have to submit a new spousal PR application and you must remain in Canada during the entire process.

manharnarang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2015
screech339 said:
1) Yes you can change your wife to accompanying, however you then cannot land until your wife's COPR has been issued.

2) You can land as PR as long as your wife is still listed as Non-accompany. However you would have to submit a new spousal PR application and you must remain in Canada during the entire process.
Hi screech. Thanks for your response. Regarding point 1, Somebody in the forum told me that it would result in my express entry points being recalculated and others suggested that my own PR might run into problem due to this move. I have tried searching on CIC for this point, but could not find any conclusive text.
I don't want to raise a case specific enquiry but am not sure how can i reach out to visa office without revealing my case number.