+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply BOWP Have aplied PR under CEC

bhanami

Sep 20, 2018
Hi,

Need help. Can I apply Bridging open work permit, have applied PR application today. Have valid closed work permit until Jan 2020, however project I'm working for my company is going to be closed by January 2019 and I may have to leave Canada if I don't get PR by then.

Would there be any impact to the PR application if I apply Bridging open work permit and is it allowed if one has valid closed permit.

Last edited:

bhanami

Sep 20, 2018
Hi,

Need help. Can I apply Bridging open work permit, have applied PR application today. Have valid closed work permit until Jan 2020, however project I'm working for my company is going to be closed by January 2019 and I may have to leave Canada if I don't get PR by then.

Would there be any impact to the PR application if I apply Bridging open work permit and is it allowed if one has valid closed permit.
Appreciate if you can help answer my questions. Thanks

movais

Sep 10, 2018
Hi,

Yes, you can apply for Bridging open work permit, however i will wait until December to apply if you are certain your project will be closed in January ( you might get PR before that ). Bridging open work permit have no implication on your PR application.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi,

The only impact would be if you claimed points for arranged employment Otherwise, no impact on your PR application.

Because your work permit is valid until Jan 2020, you are not eligible for the BOWP - one of the criteria is:
  • "have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within the next 4 months;"
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

I have seen cases where applicants with lots of time left on their temporary (closed) work permits loose their jobs, write a letter of explanation with their BOWP application, and are approved. But I have never found any official guidance on this. So it might be possible, but there are no guarantees. The other problem is, when you are on implied status, you have to work under the terms of the OLD permit - in your case, limited to that employer. You could only change employers when you receive the BOWP, which will take a couple of months.

If you have received written notice from your current employer of when your employment will end, then you could try to apply sooner.

Note that none of this is guaranteed to work, or fail. You have to decide if you want to try even though it might not work. But you should be prepared to leave (as a back up plan), assuming you cannot afford to remain in Canada as an unemployed visitor.

bhanami

Sep 20, 2018
The only impact would be if you claimed points for arranged employment Otherwise, no impact on your PR application.

Because your work permit is valid until Jan 2020, you are not eligible for the BOWP - one of the criteria is:
  • "have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within the next 4 months;"
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

I have seen cases where applicants with lots of time left on their temporary (closed) work permits loose their jobs, write a letter of explanation with their BOWP application, and are approved. But I have never found any official guidance on this. So it might be possible, but there are no guarantees. The other problem is, when you are on implied status, you have to work under the terms of the OLD permit - in your case, limited to that employer. You could only change employers when you receive the BOWP, which will take a couple of months.

If you have received written notice from your current employer of when your employment will end, then you could try to apply sooner.

Note that none of this is guaranteed to work, or fail. You have to decide if you want to try even though it might not work. But you should be prepared to leave (as a back up plan), assuming you cannot afford to remain in Canada as an unemployed visitor.
Thank you for your response. I think will take a chance by applying BOWP with a letter of explanation in the month of January if I don't get PR by then.

bhanami

Sep 20, 2018
than
Yes, you can apply for Bridging open work permit, however i will wait until December to apply if you are certain your project will be closed in January ( you might get PR before that ). Bridging open work permit have no implication on your PR application.
Thank you for your reply.