+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can. Citizen with US perm. res. status wants to move back to Canada with family

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You would also have to file in Canada since you live there. Maybe the US doesn't really care if you continue to file there but I have heard that they want you to.

nazirv

Apr 9, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2012
LANDED..........
18-07-2011
I'm starting to wonder what the benefits are of being a dual citizen. My wife is a US Citizen, so if we do decide to move to the USA in the distant future, then I could just go through the process of getting my permanent residence status again at that time, which I believe shouldn't be a big road block? Also, I wonder if I give up US residency and am not a citizen, can I leave my 401k and IRA retirement accounts intact within US accounts and then take distributions only when I retire without penalty? I also assume that at retirement age (without US Citizenship), I will be eligible for social security payments for credits already established in the last 10+ yrs?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your wife is a US citizen so if you have to file taxes in the US because of it, she would too.

To find out about retirement, benefits etc., maybe try a tax lawyer? You could ask at the same time if there is an obligation to file taxes for US citizens. According to the US embassy in Germany, I guess you do: http://germany.usembassy.gov/germany/faqs/tax.html#8

The benefits of dual is that you don't need to go through another sponsorship with added cost and waiting time. If you get US citizenship and you decide to move back to the US, you just do it. I don't know if the US has the same law as Canada that your PR is protected if you are living with a US citizen spouse but your wife after she gets her Canada PR would not need to worry about Canadian citizenship because as long as she's living with you, no matter where you are, her PR would be protected as the spouse of a Canadian.

faylen

Jul 21, 2009
nazirv said:
I'm starting to wonder what the benefits are of being a dual citizen. My wife is a US Citizen, so if we do decide to move to the USA in the distant future, then I could just go through the process of getting my permanent residence status again at that time, which I believe shouldn't be a big road block? Also, I wonder if I give up US residency and am not a citizen, can I leave my 401k and IRA retirement accounts intact within US accounts and then take distributions only when I retire without penalty? I also assume that at retirement age (without US Citizenship), I will be eligible for social security payments for credits already established in the last 10+ yrs?

Since you have no immediate plans of moving up to North, I suggest to just apply for citizenship now. You have ample time to do this. Regarding your PR status, I can't say how easy it would be in the future to just re-apply again... IF they even approve it the next time around. You'd have to do EVERYTHING all over again! Pay the fees, send in countless paperwork, interview... blah blah blah (you know the drill). Save yourself the trouble. Apply for your citizenship now. I got mine not too long ago and took about 5 months from the time I applied to oath taking. Hope this helps!

nazirv

Apr 9, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2012
LANDED..........
18-07-2011
Looks like I have to do a little more research. Do you recommend a Canadian Tax lawyer or US? Here is another site which speaks on this topic http://www.canuckabroad.com/forums/dual-citizen-needing-tax-residency-information-vt4086.html

nazirv

Apr 9, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2012
LANDED..........
18-07-2011
Faylen....are you a dual citizen too? Where do you live now? Is your whole family dual citizens? Thanks

faylen

Jul 21, 2009
nazirv said:
Faylen....are you a dual citizen too? Where do you live now? Is your whole family dual citizens? Thanks

Nazirv: Yes, I am. My family and I are currently living in the US. The only one who isn't a dual is my spouse.. but I'm hoping that when the time comes, he'll be able to also apply for Canadian citizenship.

nazirv

Apr 9, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2012
LANDED..........
18-07-2011
Ok, I think I will go ahead and apply for US citizenship. The application looks very straight forward, however, the fee is a whopping $595 + $80 = $675!
I knew there was a reason I waited this long :)

Thanks to all for your feedback. When we decide to move to Canada, I'm sure there will be endless more questions.

Nazir

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sponsoring your wife for PR will cost you around $1100 plus medicals. Citizenship in Canada is pretty low cost though.

nazirv

Apr 9, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2012
LANDED..........
18-07-2011
Leon - Do you mean sponsoring my wife as a PR in Canada when we move there? Is that the same as landed immigrant status?