+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can certified translations be done from my country of origin or do they have to be done by translators from Canada?

ROCIOLIVELY

Jul 26, 2024
Hello, please 2 questions:

1. Can certified translations be done from my country of origin or do they have to be done by translators from Canada?

2. Can translations also only be done with the professional translator's affidavit or must it be certified?

The IMM 5533 E Document Checklist says that:

"If your documents are not in English or French, include a notarized (certified) translation with a certified copy of the original document, or an affidavit from
the person who completed the translation (if the translation is not provided by a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of
translators and interpreters in Canada)".

Thank you so much.

Rocío López

ROCIOLIVELY

Jul 26, 2024
Yes, can be done abroad. Covered in .iltiple threads before.
Hello, thank you very much. If I do it abroad, is it enough with the official translator's stamp and no longer an affidavit? After that, do I have to take that translation to a notary to have it legalized or is it no longer necessary? Another question, I sent it to a professional translator but she sent me the simple translations in Word format, without a stamp. Would just a sworn declaration letter from the translation professional be enough? Thank you very much for your answer.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, thank you very much. If I do it abroad, is it enough with the official translator's stamp and no longer an affidavit? After that, do I have to take that translation to a notary to have it legalized or is it no longer necessary? Another question, I sent it to a professional translator but she sent me the simple translations in Word format, without a stamp. Would just a sworn declaration letter from the translation professional be enough? Thank you very much for your answer.
Would be better if you indicated country.

No, just a word document is not enough.

A COMPETENT professional translator will know that they need to stamp and/or sign (this is a translation of an official document), and attach a notarized copy of the original. Tell them it's for 'the embassy.' In some places it may be better to go to a notary and ask them to arrange a translation.

The 'affidavit' is basically a statement that says some form of 'this is a true and accurate translation' if no stamp. (At least as far as I've seen the stamp is basically enough)

ROCIOLIVELY

Jul 26, 2024
Would be better if you indicated country.

No, just a word document is not enough.

A COMPETENT professional translator will know that they need to stamp and/or sign (this is a translation of an official document), and attach a notarized copy of the original. Tell them it's for 'the embassy.' In some places it may be better to go to a notary and ask them to arrange a translation.

The 'affidavit' is basically a statement that says some form of 'this is a true and accurate translation' if no stamp. (At least as far as I've seen the stamp is basically enough)
Hello, thank you very much for your guidance. I have a few questions, hoping for your understanding.. The country is Peru, but I sent a professional in Canada to translate a few years ago. I have 10 translations in Word documents, without stamps, that a professional translator in Canada did. I have contacted her again and asked for an affidavit stating that she did them and that it is a true and accurate translation. Would her affidavit be enough? Would this affidavit be 1 letter that I would attach to each of the translations? Or does the translator have to give me 10 affidavits, 1 for each translated document? Another question, for my part, should I take the originals to a notary in Lima and would it no longer be necessary for the translator to translate the notary's stamps? Does the notary legalize the original or do I have to make a photocopy of the original? In other words, I attach: The original document / Notarized photocopy of the original document / Certified translation or affidavit Another question. Only official documents are translated (birth certificate, passport, etc.). Diplomas and work certificates are also translated, or not? Thank you very much in advance for your response, the subject is a bit confusing to me. God bless you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, thank you very much for your guidance. I have a few questions, hoping for your understanding.. The country is Peru, but I sent a professional in Canada to translate a few years ago. I have 10 translations in Word documents, without stamps, that a professional translator in Canada did. I have contacted her again and asked for an affidavit stating that she did them and that it is a true and accurate translation. Would her affidavit be enough? Would this affidavit be 1 letter that I would attach to each of the translations? Or does the translator have to give me 10 affidavits, 1 for each translated document? Another question, for my part, should I take the originals to a notary in Lima and would it no longer be necessary for the translator to translate the notary's stamps? Does the notary legalize the original or do I have to make a photocopy of the original? In other words, I attach: The original document / Notarized photocopy of the original document / Certified translation or affidavit Another question. Only official documents are translated (birth certificate, passport, etc.). Diplomas and work certificates are also translated, or not? Thank you very much in advance for your response, the subject is a bit confusing to me. God bless you.
In which province is this? Professional translator certified by the provincial association? They should know what to do. Word documents for a translation of an official document? That's garbage. Obviously so, because anyone could change that doc.

Sorry, but this is not that complicated. Each official document should have a translation, with stamp and/or sig with the 'true translation' or equivalent. The copy of the original should be attached with statement it's a true copy, notarized or equivalent (this may not be an issue with translations done in Canada, at least in my experience). A proper provincial translator knows how to do this.

Passport shouldn't need translated - they have English/French text from every country I'm aware of.

Peru: no idea of specifics, some latin american countries require government authentication.