+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can an Outland PA visit Spouse in Canada?

corrheag

May 26, 2019
Toronto
App. Filed.......
09-19-2019
AOR Received.
11-25-2019
Hi everyone,

I really hope you are all doing well.

This question is ideally for outland applicants who were approved
:)

Did any of you visit your spouse in Canada during the application process?

Did any of you run into any sort of problems visiting your spouse in Canada while your application was being processed?

What did you present to them when you were questioned?

Secondly, can a medical be done in Canada or does it have to be done in the PA's country?

I appreciate the cautions that need to be taken but I would really appreciate some real-life experiences since we just don't know how an officer is going to act!

Thank you so much!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi everyone,

I really hope you are all doing well.

This question is ideally for outland applicants who were approved
:)

Did any of you visit your spouse in Canada during the application process?

Did any of you run into any sort of problems visiting your spouse in Canada while your application was being processed?

What did you present to them when you were questioned?

Secondly, can a medical be done in Canada or does it have to be done in the PA's country?

I appreciate the cautions that need to be taken but I would really appreciate some real-life experiences since we just don't know how an officer is going to act!

Thank you so much!
Yes, they can have the medical in Canada, just make sure to use a panel examiner.

Yes, they can visit. Is tge PA from a visa exempt country or not? If not, do they already hold a visitors visa? Is it a true short term visit or do tgey plan to stay until approved?

Answers required to these questions for any sensible replies.

corrheag

May 26, 2019
Toronto
App. Filed.......
09-19-2019
AOR Received.
11-25-2019
Yes, they can have the medical in Canada, just make sure to use a panel examiner.

Yes, they can visit. Is tge PA from a visa exempt country or not? If not, do they already hold a visitors visa? Is it a true short term visit or do tgey plan to stay until approved?

Answers required to these questions for any sensible replies.
Thanks for your answer.

Thank you for the medical intel!

The PA applicant is from the United States - visa-exempt.

They would like to stay in Canada until the visa is approved.

Inland is not an option for us.
We are doing an outland application since we are both currently in the US and are considering the turnaround time (waiting for him to come to Canada to do the application is not an option for us).

Thank you in advance.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Thanks for your answer.

Thank you for the medical intel!

The PA applicant is from the United States - visa-exempt.

They would like to stay in Canada until the visa is approved.

Inland is not an option for us.
We are doing an outland application since we are both currently in the US and are considering the turnaround time (waiting for him to come to Canada to do the application is not an option for us).

Thank you in advance.
Right.

So what you are talking about is 'dual intent'. Once your spousal application is lodged and ideally acknowledged by CIC, then they can come to Canada with visitor status under dual intent. Key here is they must come with no mord luggage than a visitor would, ideally have a return ticket (if flying) and maintain links back to the US (a job, an apartment, a car etc). They would of course not be able to work until landed and would have to sort out private health coverage.

What they must NOT do is sell everything up and move to Canada, that is how they will be refused entry.

Reactions: corrheag

corrheag

May 26, 2019
Toronto
App. Filed.......
09-19-2019
AOR Received.
11-25-2019
Right.

So what you are talking about is 'dual intent'. Once your spousal application is lodged and ideally acknowledged by CIC, then they can come to Canada with visitor status under dual intent. Key here is they must come with no mord luggage than a visitor would, ideally have a return ticket (if flying) and maintain links back to the US (a job, an apartment, a car etc). They would of course not be able to work until landed and would have to sort out private health coverage.

What they must NOT do is sell everything up and move to Canada, that is how they will be refused entry.
Got it. Makes complete sense.

For dual intent, will he have to get a specific stamp indicating this or will it just be assumed he is dual intent since he is from a visa-exempt country?

Thanks for your help by the way. This has been extremely helpful.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017

For dual intent, will he have to get a specific stamp indicating this or will it just be assumed he is dual intent since he is from a visa-exempt country?

No, she is entering as a visitor and should get the automatic six months. When asked the purpose of the visit, it would be 'visiting my husband, I also have a spousal spobsorship in progress and plan to visit with him until approved'.

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019

There's no special stamp for dual intent, nor do they make the assumption. He needs to tell them upon entry that he is visiting his spouse AND has a PR application submitted and would like to stay in Canada while it processes.

I'm an outland applicant currently staying in Canada with my spouse while our application processes. I've gone back and forth several times (my parents live about 3 hours away on the other side of the border so we visit when we can) and every time I cross back in (with or without my husband) I make sure to tell them I am waiting on a PR decision. As long as you are honest and upfront with CBSA (but don't answer questions they don't ask, you don't have to overshare) they should be alright.

corrheag

May 26, 2019
Toronto
App. Filed.......
09-19-2019
AOR Received.
11-25-2019
No, she is entering as a visitor and should get the automatic six months. When asked the purpose of the visit, it would be 'visiting my husband, I also have a spousal spobsorship in progress and plan to visit with him until approved'.
Got it!

corrheag

May 26, 2019
Toronto
App. Filed.......
09-19-2019
AOR Received.
11-25-2019
There's no special stamp for dual intent, nor do they make the assumption. He needs to tell them upon entry that he is visiting his spouse AND has a PR application submitted and would like to stay in Canada while it processes.

I'm an outland applicant currently staying in Canada with my spouse while our application processes. I've gone back and forth several times (my parents live about 3 hours away on the other side of the border so we visit when we can) and every time I cross back in (with or without my husband) I make sure to tell them I am waiting on a PR decision. As long as you are honest and upfront with CBSA (but don't answer questions they don't ask, you don't have to overshare) they should be alright.
Thanks for you for your help!

Do you mind tell me how long you have been waiting? Are you already been approved or is your application still pending?

Regards,

corrheag

May 26, 2019
Toronto
App. Filed.......
09-19-2019
AOR Received.
11-25-2019

Also, did you initially do an outland application while outside Canada or did you do the Outland application while in Canada? Ours would be the former.

Cheers,

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
Also, did you initially do an outland application while outside Canada or did you do the Outland application while in Canada? Ours would be the former.

Cheers,
Our is actually outland by accident. We intended to apply inland (I've been here since we got married in January), and did initially, but our first attempt was returned because of a forgotten document, and upon resubmitting my husband picked the wrong address on the checklist and sent it to Sydney, this making it an outland application.

We mailed it at the end of May, it was received (opened, not when they physically received it from the courier) June 3, and we got our AOR July 24. I've finished my medical and biometrics, so now we're just waiting for a decision

corrheag

May 26, 2019
Toronto
App. Filed.......
09-19-2019
AOR Received.
11-25-2019
Our is actually outland by accident. We intended to apply inland (I've been here since we got married in January), and did initially, but our first attempt was returned because of a forgotten document, and upon resubmitting my husband picked the wrong address on the checklist and sent it to Sydney, this making it an outland application.

We mailed it at the end of May, it was received (opened, not when they physically received it from the courier) June 3, and we got our AOR July 24. I've finished my medical and biometrics, so now we're just waiting for a decision
Ah, I see.

Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll be getting yours quite soon.

We were thinking it may be best for him to stay in the US until he gets his biometrics. Someone had posted on another forum that immigration doesn't like when US applicants enter the US to do their biometrics. I'm not sure how true this is, but it sounds like perhaps you haven't experienced any problems?

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
Ah, I see.

Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll be getting yours quite soon.

We were thinking it may be best for him to stay in the US until he gets his biometrics. Someone had posted on another forum that immigration doesn't like when US applicants enter the US to do their biometrics. I'm not sure how true this is, but it sounds like perhaps you haven't experienced any problems?
By the time I did my biometrics, I had a valid visitor record, so I didn't have much trouble. It was a huge pain in the ass to have to do it, though, because the nearest office to Vancouver is all the way in Seattle, so while it was nice to stop by to see my family while I was down there, it basically took a whole day to it. It's probably better for him to stick around until the Biometrics are done (my request came about a week after our Spousal Approval, which was about 2 weeks after we received the AOR).

Honestly, in my experience CBSA is a bit more...lenient with citizens of Visa-exempt countries like the US. Maybe lenient isnt the best word, but I've rarely gotten the third degree from CBSA, and they've actually be quite friendly and helpful.