+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can an applicant get a second resident address in their home country while application is being processed?

LoveIt

Nov 5, 2019
Hi, to summarize the situation:

I'm currently applying for citizenship. Received AOR, background check completed but the rest of the steps are ongoing.

Can I move my residency to my home country while the application is ongoing? I would still be keeping my home in Vancouver but I will officially have moved to my home country on paper.

*I know the ideal would be waiting until the ceremony but I will need to do it soon for personal reasons. I will still be present in Canada for the test, ceremony and possible interview.

I couldn't find any information about this anywhere and IRCC person didn't sound very confident in their answer. I thought I would also ask here as experts seem to be checking this forum sometimes.

Thank you.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi, to summarize the situation:

I'm currently applying for citizenship. Received AOR, background check completed but the rest of the steps are ongoing.

Can I move my residency to my home country while the application is ongoing? I would still be keeping my home in Vancouver but I will officially have moved to my home country on paper.

*I know the ideal would be waiting until the ceremony but I will need to do it soon for personal reasons. I will still be present in Canada for the test, ceremony and possible interview.

I couldn't find any information about this anywhere and IRCC person didn't sound very confident in their answer. I thought I would also ask here as experts seem to be checking this forum sometimes.

Thank you.
There are many examples in the forum who have done it. Just that many times it can slower your processing as they might expect you to be in Canada to further process your application like for oath date or for interview. They might ask you to send boarding pass copy to further process things.