+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a Tourist give birth to her baby in Canada?

rdutter

Star Member
Dec 12, 2010
We are Indian passport holders and expecting our child in July, 2010. Wondering if we can have our child in Canada? We are not worried about the related costs.

Could there be issues with obtaining a tourist visa for 3 months or more?
Would the authorities allow my wife to enter Canada in 6-7 months of pregnancy?
Would the child obtain a Canadian citizenship if born there?

P.S: We are planning to apply for a Canadian PR under Skilled Migration in Feb, 2010 We are also open to applying as an investor as long as the application is processed faster with a positive outcome.

Any help would be much appreciated.

asdf111

Star Member
Oct 8, 2010
A clever move man. I think yes you can try that. I heard before somebody went to uk to get citizenship of baby then eventualy their's as well. Try it................

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She may be denied a tourist visa if visibly pregnant. I do not know if they would stop her at the airport if she arrived while pregnant. She could go a bit earlier. Usually they give you 6 months to visit so if she arrives before she starts to show, there would be no problem. If she has to apply to extend her visit visa, even if they say no, it buys you 2 or 3 months while they process the application and in the meantime you have implied status.

The baby would get Canadian citizenship but you would have to pay for the hospital out of your own pocket. I have heard numbers like $3000 or $5000 or even more. Depends on if there are complications.

You should definitely apply under skilled worker. Investor is slow.

asdf111 said:
A clever move man. I think yes you can try that. I heard before somebody went to uk to get citizenship of baby then eventualy their's as well. Try it................
Doesn't work. You do not have birthright citizenship in the UK. In Canada you do but a Canadian baby will not help you get your citizenship until they turn 18 and have enough income to sponsor you and even then, it will take years. If they are immigrating anyway, they might as well just add the baby to their application. The baby will become a PR when they do and a citizen when they apply themselves.

Then agian, if they want the baby born in Canada and they can afford it, why not. It will not really matter for the baby as long as they immigrate themselves, he or she will have other options to become a citizen. If however their immigration plans fall through, their baby would be a citizen so in that case, it would be good.

asdf111

Star Member
Oct 8, 2010
Leon said:
She may be denied a tourist visa if visibly pregnant. I do not know if they would stop her at the airport if she arrived while pregnant. She could go a bit earlier. Usually they give you 6 months to visit so if she arrives before she starts to show, there would be no problem. If she has to apply to extend her visit visa, even if they say no, it buys you 2 or 3 months while they process the application and in the meantime you have implied status.

The baby would get Canadian citizenship but you would have to pay for the hospital out of your own pocket. I have heard numbers like $3000 or $5000 or even more. Depends on if there are complications.

You should definitely apply under skilled worker. Investor is slow.

Doesn't work. You do not have birthright citizenship in the UK. In Canada you do but a Canadian baby will not help you get your citizenship until they turn 18 and have enough income to sponsor you and even then, it will take years. If they are immigrating anyway, they might as well just add the baby to their application. The baby will become a PR when they do and a citizen when they apply themselves.

Then agian, if they want the baby born in Canada and they can afford it, why not. It will not really matter for the baby as long as they immigrate themselves, he or she will have other options to become a citizen. If however their immigration plans fall through, their baby would be a citizen so in that case, it would be good.
are you sure they don't have birth citizenship right in uk. one of my friends did that and he told me his baby got citizenship. it happened an year ago.

if these people applying for canadian PRR then whats the point of giving birth in canada?? only waste of money i think??

paulcanada74

Star Member
Nov 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IT might sound hard but your friend lied to you unless he himself UK citizen...It's been long time birthright citizenship stopped in UK.

asdf111

Star Member
Oct 8, 2010
paulcanada74 said:
IT might sound hard but your friend lied to you unless he himself UK citizen...It's been long time birthright citizenship stopped in UK.
ok paul thx for this info

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, since 1983 or so, there is no birthright citizenship in the UK except if one or both parents are citizens or have permanent residency. It is possible that your friend or his wife had permanent residency in the UK and that is why their baby got citizenship but their baby getting citizenship did not have anything to do with them getting it. They would have followed immigration protocol to apply for it anyway in due time.

asdf111

Star Member
Oct 8, 2010
Leon said:
Yes, since 1983 or so, there is no birthright citizenship in the UK except if one or both parents are citizens or have permanent residency. It is possible that your friend or his wife had permanent residency in the UK and that is why their baby got citizenship but their baby getting citizenship did not have anything to do with them getting it. They would have followed immigration protocol to apply for it anyway in due time.
Dear Sir Leon,

Can you tell me one more thing. Is the same rule applies in USA, if baby is born in usa will he / she get nationality??

Where else in world same rule applies in europe / australia / canada / newzealand etc

thx

farhaniqbal

Nov 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2009
Doc's Request.
21-01-2010
Med's Request
06-03-2012
Med's Done....
16-03-2012
Passport Req..
PPR1 on 14-09-2012 and PPR2, 05-10-12, Decision Made on 8-10-12
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-12
LANDED..........
November 1, 2012 at Calgary
A born baby is a national in Canada for sure. But this is not the case in UK.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A baby born in the US gets citizenship as well as in Canada. Australia has rules similar to the UK since 1986, that is citizenship for baby if at least one parent is a citizen or PR. New Zealand has the same rules since 2006. In the UK and Australia, there is an option for children to gain citizenship at age 10 if they are born there and have lived there since birth.

I do not know of any European countries that offer citizenship at birth regardless of the status of the parents.

You can see a list of countries at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

asdf111

Star Member
Oct 8, 2010
Leon said:
A baby born in the US gets citizenship as well as in Canada. Australia has rules similar to the UK since 1986, that is citizenship for baby if at least one parent is a citizen or PR. New Zealand has the same rules since 2006. In the UK and Australia, there is an option for children to gain citizenship at age 10 if they are born there and have lived there since birth.

I do not know of any European countries that offer citizenship at birth regardless of the status of the parents.

You can see a list of countries at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli
thx sir leon for this kind information. +1 for you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, babies born in Germany do not get German citizenship either unless one parent is a German citizen or PR. If the parent is a PR, he must have been a PR for at least 3 years and must have been living in Germany for at least 8, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law#Birth_in_Germany

The child may have to give up their 2nd citizenship when they come of age if they want to keep the German one. Germany is not very liberal with dual citizenship, they allow it only in certain specific cases.

dendrotech

Dec 5, 2011
Namaste rdutter,
I found this forum searching online about having a baby in Canada. I have currently two citizenships (USA and one Latin American country), my girlfriend has another one (an European country) so we want our baby to get four in total to be able to face the globalized world in the future and decide wherever he/she would like to work and settle down when he/she grow up.
Can you please post an update about what you did? your last post about this topic is from a year ago.
Thanks!

rdutter said:
We are Indian passport holders and expecting our child in July, 2010. Wondering if we can have our child in Canada? We are not worried about the related costs.

Could there be issues with obtaining a tourist visa for 3 months or more?
Would the authorities allow my wife to enter Canada in 6-7 months of pregnancy?
Would the child obtain a Canadian citizenship if born there?

P.S: We are planning to apply for a Canadian PR under Skilled Migration in Feb, 2010 We are also open to applying as an investor as long as the application is processed faster with a positive outcome.

Any help would be much appreciated.