+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a foreign worker apply for a study permit?

turbojetz

Jul 29, 2008
Hi I am a foreign worker with a work permit here in Canada. I just want to inquire if it is possible to apply for a study permit while I have the work permit? Thanks for any information you guys can share.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi
turbojetz said:
Hi I am a foreign worker with a work permit here in Canada. I just want to inquire if it is possible to apply for a study permit while I have the work permit? Thanks for any information you guys can share.
It is one or other, you can't have both.

turbojetz

Jul 29, 2008
Thanks for the reply PMM, In my case my work permit expires in September 2011 and the start date of the course I wish to enroll in is on October 2011, can I apply for the study permit before my work permit expires or do I need to wait for the work permit to expire first?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

turbojetz said:
Thanks for the reply PMM, In my case my work permit expires in September 2011 and the start date of the course I wish to enroll in is on October 2011, can I apply for the study permit before my work permit expires or do I need to wait for the work permit to expire first?
In that instance you apply for the study permit before your work permit expires.

VILLAGEHUA

Star Member
Jan 23, 2010
Looks like we live in caregiver need to wait till we are the perment resident then back to school edicate ourself. We need more Canada education background then help us try difference field after we finished our contract. We are not going to do this job in our whole life.

turbojetz

Jul 29, 2008
Thanks again PMM, just one last question. Where do I apply for the study permit, can I do it here in Canada since I am currently here or do I apply in my country of origin?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

turbojetz said:
Thanks again PMM, just one last question. Where do I apply for the study permit, can I do it here in Canada since I am currently here or do I apply in my country of origin?
Through Vegreville. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-student.asp

martinguyen

Oct 18, 2011
Thanks for your reply, my Work Permit and Visa are still valid until July 2012.

When I check Study Permit Self-Assessment Tool, it says:

You may be eligible to apply for a study permit from within Canada if any of these situations apply to you.

_ holders of valid work or study permits and their family members;
_ holders of temporary resident permits valid for a minimum of six months and their family members;

1) My status is applied to 2 above situations, however I was laid off, so I don't know if my work permit is still considered as valid work permit or not. Could you please let me know?

2) I don't understand meaning of the statement of "and their family members", is that mentioned to a spouse or children ? or relative documents of work permit or study permit ?

3) Since I was laid off, so how long am I eligible to stay in Canada ? As I read in this forum, I am still eligible to stay until my work permit/visa expired, however an immigration lawyer told me that I am now out of status, I should write a letter to CIC to report my status (laid off) and apply to Visitor status, is it correct ?

4) I have applied Federal Skilled Worker application for permanent residency processed outside Canada from June 2006 until now, I have been informed to supply Medical Exam and Police Certificate when I go to Canada with work visa and got Arranged Employment Opinion last year. I have just submitted Medical Exam and Police Certificate and then I lost my job so I don't know if it negatively affect to my permanent resident application or not. Could you please let me know ?

Many thanks for your reply!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Hi,

You can stay up to the validity of your work permit either to look for a new employer or maybe change your status to that of a student. You and your family members (if they are in Canada).

martinguyen said:
Thanks for your reply, my Work Permit and Visa are still valid until July 2012.

When I check Study Permit Self-Assessment Tool, it says:

You may be eligible to apply for a study permit from within Canada if any of these situations apply to you.

_ holders of valid work or study permits and their family members;
_ holders of temporary resident permits valid for a minimum of six months and their family members;

1) My status is applied to 2 above situations, however I was laid off, so I don't know if my work permit is still considered as valid work permit or not. Could you please let me know?

2) I don't understand meaning of the statement of "and their family members", is that mentioned to a spouse or children ? or relative documents of work permit or study permit ?

3) Since I was laid off, so how long am I eligible to stay in Canada ? As I read in this forum, I am still eligible to stay until my work permit/visa expired, however an immigration lawyer told me that I am now out of status, I should write a letter to CIC to report my status (laid off) and apply to Visitor status, is it correct ?

4) I have applied Federal Skilled Worker application for permanent residency processed outside Canada from June 2006 until now, I have been informed to supply Medical Exam and Police Certificate when I go to Canada with work visa and got Arranged Employment Opinion last year. I have just submitted Medical Exam and Police Certificate and then I lost my job so I don't know if it negatively affect to my permanent resident application or not. Could you please let me know ?

Many thanks for your reply!

martinguyen

Oct 18, 2011
Hello,

Thanks for your response!

What do you think about my immigration application:

4) I applied Federal Skilled Worker application for permanent residency processed outside Canada from June 2006 until now. After I went to Canada with work visa/permit last year, I was informed to supply Medical Exam and Police Certificate after I sent them Arranged Employment Opinion this year, 2011.

I have submitted Medical Exam and Police Certificate and been waiting for passport request, now I lost my job so I don't know if it negatively affect to decision on my permanent resident application or not. Could you please let me know ?

Thank you very much!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Independent application. I am assuming you applied from outside Canada. Was you app with AEO?

martinguyen said:
Hello,

Thanks for your response!

What do you think about my immigration application:

4) I applied Federal Skilled Worker application for permanent residency processed outside Canada from June 2006 until now. After I went to Canada with work visa/permit last year, I was informed to supply Medical Exam and Police Certificate after I sent them Arranged Employment Opinion this year, 2011.

I have submitted Medical Exam and Police Certificate and been waiting for passport request, now I lost my job so I don't know if it negatively affect to decision on my permanent resident application or not. Could you please let me know ?

Thank you very much!

martinguyen

Oct 18, 2011
Yes, after I went to Canada to work for Canadian company, Canadian company support me to get AEO during my working time. After I sent AEO to Immigration office outside Canada, they immediately processed my application and sent documents to request Immigration Medical exam and Police Certificates. I have sent Medical Exam and Police Certificate, however, now I was laid off, I don't know how it affect to my application.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
It will probably affect it if it is with AEO. Maybe the PROs can comment. PMM/Leon would be in a better position to reply to you.

martinguyen said:
Yes, after I went to Canada and work for a year, Canadian company support me to get AEO, after I sent AEO to Immigration office, they processed my application and sent document to request Immigration Medical exam and Police Certificates. Now I was laid off, I don't know how it affect to my application.