+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a dual citizen husband sponsor his wife from outside canada?

sky1411

Jan 15, 2015
Good day!

My husband is a canadian citizen since he was 5 years old. When he came back to the Philippines, he re-acquired his philippine citizenship when he was 24. I read in the sponsorship papers that a canadian can sponsor his wife even if he was living exclusively outside canada? to whom does that phrase apply? is it really possible to file a sponsorship from this country (phil) while we are living here together?

sky1411

Jan 15, 2015
I'm referring to this clause:

"If you are a Canadian citizen not residing in Canada, you may sponsor your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner and/or dependent children who have no dependent children of their own. You must demonstrate that you will live in Canada once they become a permanent resident."

We are married for 8 years and we have three children. They are already canadians except for me. Can he sponsor me while we are living together in the Philippines?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes he can, but he will need to show CIC that he will return to Canada when your PR is approved.

sky1411

Jan 15, 2015
Thanks Ponga! I do have a few follow-up questions to ask about the sponsorship. My husband came back to the Philippines last month for a vacation leave. He was working in BC for more than a year. We were really planning to do the outland sponsorship while he is working there. But then, the time that we are away from each other is really hard for all of us, most esp for our kids. He was bound to go back to canada last jan. 2 to return to BC and continue working. Unfortunately, it was really tough for my kids to see their father leave again and as well as for my husband to be apart from us again. He immediately messaged his supervisor about his resignation and decided to stay here. We tried looking into other options that I can be sponsored and I saw that clause in the sponsorship papers. What I want to ask is..

a. Since he just resigned from his job, does he need to be employed to be able to sponsor me? He doesn't have a job right now, but he is currently looking for some online work.
b. Will it have the same processing time to sponsor me from here than sponsoring me while he's in canada?
c. they said cic is about family reunification, will our sponsorship take longer since we are living together and not apart?

Looking forward to your response. really appreciate the time you spend helping others! :)

crzy_canadian

Oct 28, 2015
Visayas - Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Nov-2015
AOR Received.
12-Jan-2016
File Transfer...
19-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
08-July-2016
VISA ISSUED...
VOH: 05-Aug-2016
sky1411 said:
a. Since he just resigned from his job, does he need to be employed to be able to sponsor me? He doesn't have a job right now, but he is currently looking for some online work.
b. Will it have the same processing time to sponsor me from here than sponsoring me while he's in canada?
c. they said cic is about family reunification, will our sponsorship take longer since we are living together and not apart?
a. No, he does not need to be employed.
b. Yes.
c. No.

The only difference between the Canadian citizen living abroad verse in Canadaduring an outland spousal sponsorship is that the sponsor must prove he/she intends to return & reside in Canada once the PR is granted. CIC does not want the PR card being used as a glorified travel visa.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sky1411 said:
a. While there is no requirement to be employed, he does have to show how you guys intend to support yourselves in Canada. This can be done with any combination of work income, future income potential, savings, investments, family assistance etc.

b. The processing time will be the same provided he shows sufficient proof of intent to return to Canada. If CIC isn't satisfied that he intends to return, they will request more proof and that will delay the app.

c. No, it won't take longer.

Karle72

Nov 23, 2016
Hello, I have the same situation. Im a dual citizen but has been living here in the philippines for 3 years. I want to move back to canada and bring my whole family. My 2 kids have canadian certificate already. I want to sponsor my wife asap so we can all move together asap. I am looking at sponsoring outland but also is aware of inland sponsorship. Whats the fastest way? Should i get my wife a tourist visa first and then sponsor her when are in canada? We would like to move back asap as the situation here in ph is getting bad. Thanks

Screenager

May 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good day!

My husband is a canadian citizen since he was 5 years old. When he came back to the Philippines, he re-acquired his philippine citizenship when he was 24. I read in the sponsorship papers that a canadian can sponsor his wife even if he was living exclusively outside canada? to whom does that phrase apply? is it really possible to file a sponsorship from this country (phil) while we are living here together?
Our case was similar. The sponsor is a dual citizen not living in Canada. In such cases you need to give CIC "proof of intent" of the sponsor to re-establish life in Canada once the Applicant is issued PR visa. A lot of very good material on this topic in the forum. Search for Proof of intent and you will get the info. Be as detailed as possible, include as many things as possible.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
To apply inland, your wife would have to be in Canada. You can try to get her a TRV, but to do so she has to show proof of ties to the Philippines such that the visa officer will believe that she will leave Canada. If she cannot get one, you will have to apply outland. Outland is often faster anyway.
If you decide to apply outland, you will also have to prove that you intend to return to Canada to live.

Screenager

May 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Ponga! I do have a few follow-up questions to ask about the sponsorship. My husband came back to the Philippines last month for a vacation leave. He was working in BC for more than a year. We were really planning to do the outland sponsorship while he is working there. But then, the time that we are away from each other is really hard for all of us, most esp for our kids. He was bound to go back to canada last jan. 2 to return to BC and continue working. Unfortunately, it was really tough for my kids to see their father leave again and as well as for my husband to be apart from us again. He immediately messaged his supervisor about his resignation and decided to stay here. We tried looking into other options that I can be sponsored and I saw that clause in the sponsorship papers. What I want to ask is..

Looking forward to your response. really appreciate the time you spend helping others! :)
a. No. (In our case, The sponsor is a home-maker and dependant on the Principal applicant). However, you will need to tell CIC about your plans of supporting yourselves without asking for welfare. In our case we supplied very detailed plans and supporting documents while answering questions about Sponsor's source of support, explanation regarding Lack of sponsor's Canadian Tax returns as sponsor is a non resident of Canada, proofs of sponsor's intent to live in Canada once applicant's PR is approved. Do your research. Be as detailed as possible. As per latest GCMS notes, our eligibility is passed, they are satisfied with our proofs of Intent, Sponsorship Approval was recieved long ago (first step in the process) and we are moving along nicely hoping to get a Decision Made and Passport Request soon. You guys can share your Sponsor's recent work history, your family finances, your savings and investments, your income potential, your employement potential, several things can be used in backing up your claim that you guys would be ok supporting your selves for 3 years without the PR ever asking for welfare.

b. Techinically there shouldnt be an difference in length of processing if you guys can provide sound proofs of your sponsors intention to live in Canada after you get your PR visa. As we did.

c. No.

Last edited: