+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a BC employer request BC government to provide a support letter to extend an employee work permit who was hired based on PGWP?

ykarkera

Aug 6, 2022
Hi,

I am currently working for a company in British Columbia on PGWP. My PGWP will expire in May 2025. With 2 years of work experience, I qualify for CEC and my CRS score is 476.

I checked with my company on the possibility of them applying for LMIA, however, for some reason they cannot apply for LMIA and have asked me to check if other options are available that can either help me with PR or extend my PGWP.

I have read that if the provincial government provides a support letter for extension, the chances of getting the PGWP extended are high. Does anyone know how this works and if it's even true? Can an employer reach out to BC government and request an employee's extension with explanation of why they need me to continue working for them without trying to show that they have tried to look for another candidate since I have already worked for them for the past 2 years?

Any suggestions on how I can extend my stay beyond May 2025 would be appreciated.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I am currently working for a company in British Columbia on PGWP. My PGWP will expire in May 2025. With 2 years of work experience, I qualify for CEC and my CRS score is 476.

I checked with my company on the possibility of them applying for LMIA, however, for some reason they cannot apply for LMIA and have asked me to check if other options are available that can either help me with PR or extend my PGWP.

I have read that if the provincial government provides a support letter for extension, the chances of getting the PGWP extended are high. Does anyone know how this works and if it's even true? Can an employer reach out to BC government and request an employee's extension with explanation of why they need me to continue working for them without trying to show that they have tried to look for another candidate since I have already worked for them for the past 2 years?

Any suggestions on how I can extend my stay beyond May 2025 would be appreciated.
If you are talking about the new policy for provincial support letters then you apply through a BC PNP program and become a provincial candidate who will be nominated. The government decides not the employer or employee.

So research if eligible for any BC PNP programs.