+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Called for Interview (Detroit office). But I have other problems

mpp2009

Sep 1, 2009
I finished a post-graduate course in Toronto & got the 1 year post-grad work permit. Based on that I was working in Canada from Sept 2008 till July 2009 when the work-permit expired. I applied for extending my stay as a visitor (not work-permit) in June 2009 but so far that application is still pending with Vegreville Alberta office. So I am under that 90 day "Implied Status" till October 2009.

Now the Detroit office (where my PR file is) has scheduled an interview for me. The problem is 1) My current Canadian work-permit visa expired on July 11th 2009. So if I go to US for the interview, I won't be able to get back in Canada.
2) I don't have a US visa yet. So I'll have to apply for one. Given my current status, its very likely that US will refuse visa.

Can someone please advice what to do next.
Here are some options I was thinking......
1) Ask Detroit if they can conduct a phone interview or schedule interview somewhere in Canada.
2) Ask Detroit to transfer my file to New Delhi (my home country) so I can attend interview there. But won't this further delay the process? Will my case be given priority since it was transferred from US or will it be at the end of the queue?
3)Wait for the response from the Alberta office. If I get extension, then I can apply for US visa & then go to US for the interview.
Basically, I would like to finish this PR stuff while I am in Canada (for obvious reasons). My employers are willing to hire me back but won't sponsor me for HRDC work-permit.

Can someone please advice what would be the best thing to do in this situation.
Thanks.

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Inform Detroit for your situation and ask them that it is not possible to attend the interview in the current situation (explain in detail) - wait for their reply if they can waive the interview or extend it until you resolve the issues. Transfer to ND may not work at this stage.

mpp2009

Sep 1, 2009
Thanks for the reply NewYorker,
I am just worried that if I say too much, they may just reject my application or transfer my case to New Delhi.

Anyway, this one is for everyone.......
Given my situation, is there a better chance of getting US Visa from India rather than from here in Canada. Some Immigration consultants are saying that US will likely reject my visa app from here even if I get extension to stay as a visitor. (you mostly have to have canadian student or work permit). They'll ask me to apply from home country.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

jasbir78

Star Member
Nov 19, 2007
In my opinion, first try to get US visa.
If unsuccessfull then send copy of US visa refusal with your request letter for another mode of interview to CIC.

Dont send this request before attempting US visa.

bye

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
He can get the US visa (may be possible) but problem is he cannot go back to Canada as his WP is expired, until the WP is renewed, only then he can apply for the US visa and go for his interview and can come back to Canada.

mpp2009

Sep 1, 2009
Thanks for the reply guys.

My friend who was called for interview at NewYork office last year said if the interview is successful then they will straight away stamp the PR on my passport (since I have already done my medicals) on the same day. So basically the last step. In his case the medical was not done so they gave him the medical papers after his successful interview.

Do you guys think this correct. Would the interview be the last step?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

mpp2009 said:
Thanks for the reply guys.

My friend who was called for interview at NewYork office last year said if the interview is successful then they will straight away stamp the PR on my passport (since I have already done my medicals) on the same day. So basically the last step. In his case the medical was not done so they gave him the medical papers after his successful interview.

Do you guys think this correct. Would the interview be the last step?
It is extremely doubtful that they would issue the visa the same day as the interview.

PMM

mpp2009

Sep 1, 2009
If that's the case then wouldn't the visitor visa extension from CIC Vegreville AB be sufficient to enter back in Canada after the interview. Or do I need a TRV?

me2land

Aug 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not necessarily efficient but your only secure choice here is to move your file to New Delhi. I think
you were right in your original post. Definately ask if phone interview is possible before proceeding.

mpp2009

Sep 1, 2009
I am thinking about applying for US visa from my home country. If that is rejected, then I'll ask Detroit to transfer file to New Delhi. This would be my last resort.

Applying for US visa from Canada seems to be a risky option. If I had valid study/work permit then it may have been a strong case. Just a canadian visitor visa will not be enough.

Has anybody come across a case where the PR file has been transferred from US to New Delhi (or any other foreign) consulate? Any idea how long the processing time is in the second consulate?

mpp2009

Sep 1, 2009
I had e-mailed a general inquiry question to NY Consulate & they said they can transfer the file to home country but they do not conduct phone interviews.

Now the question is how will New Delhi treat my file. A new application (back in the general queue for years) or will they call me for an interview within the next few months.

Any thoughts PMM, senior members. Please help.

vamsi001

Star Member
Jul 11, 2009
From the information that i gathered from a very close friend of mine, he requested his file o be transferred from U.K to New delhi,
2.5years into the process, he has been waiting for about 2years since hisfile was transferred to india. What he told
me is that if they transferred your file without you requesting for it, they usually process it quickly BUT if somone requests for
a fle transfer, because people have been waiting in the new visa office, you have to be put at the back of the queue.
Good luck

mpp2009

Sep 1, 2009
Thanks for the replies.

vamsi001, ur friend's file was 2.5yrs into the process. Had he done the medicals & paid the "right to permanent residence" fee? Or was he called for an interview?
I am just trying to figure out at what stage his file was.

I guess the only way around this would be to tell them that my US visitor visa has been rejected so can you schedule the interview in my home country visa office (without explicitly asking for the file to be transferred there).

vamsi001

Star Member
Jul 11, 2009
He submitted his application in uk in 2003, he was on student visa,
he got a letter to re-submit updated documents precisely in late 2005, his uk visa expired,
he finished his studies so he had to go back to india. I think i he had not left uk thye would have sent his medicals early 2006 in the u.k.
He wrote to them that his u.k visa was expiring asking if they would fast-track his application. They gave him options to either wait in u.k or transferhis file. He requested for his file to be transferred to india. He is still awaiting his medicals up till now.
I don't know why yhis is so but totransfer a file from one visa office to another,remember there is a long queue already but am not an
expert on this, just giving my own opinion and just sharing my close friend'sexperience wth you ok?