+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Calculation of Separate CEC Experience and Early acceptance of ITA

Immigrant2412

Sep 2, 2024
Hi All,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I was wondering if anyone could help me determine or confirm the date on which I will have gained two years of Canadian work experience. The primary reason for this request is that I am trying to identify the earliest ITA that I can accept while keeping the 60-day submission requirement in mind.

For context, I have held two separate salaried jobs in Canada, both of which qualify under CEC:

1. First Job: This was a full-time contract position with a fixed term and weekly salary. The job started on August 4, 2022, and ended on May 26, 2023. I have calculated that this period covers 42 full weeks and 2 weekdays (August 4 and August 5).
  2. Second Job: This is a full-time permanent position with a fixed yearly salary. I am still employed in this role and will continue working in this position. This job started on September 29, 2023. As of November 29, 2024, I will have completed 61 full weeks plus one weekday (September 29, 2023).
  3. Payment Structure: Both of my jobs provided semi-monthly payments, and my paystubs consistently show 75 hours per pay period. Since the payment period sometimes covers 10 weekdays and other times 10 weekdays days, my paystubs suggest an average of 6.8-7.5 hours per weekday. However, internally, we were instructed to record 7 hours per weekday when taking vacation or on statutory holidays. Therefore, I am confident that I can ask my employers to state that I am/was expected to work 7 hours per weekday in my employment reference letters.
Questions:

1. I was wondering if I can include August 4-5 and September 29 as three separate weekdays when calculating my work experience. If so, I was wondering if I can calculate each of them as 7 hours, totaling 21 hours. This would mean that I only need two more weekdays after November 29, 2024 (December 2-3, 2024), to reach the two-year mark, and I will have two years of work experience as of December 4, 2024 (3 x 7 + 42 x 30 + 61 x 30 + 2 x 7 = 3125 hours).
  2. If the above is correct, and assuming there will be another CEC draw on October 9, 2024, would this mean I can accept the ITA from October 9, as I only need to submit my application before December 7, 2024?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Ok, I can already see an error in your calculations. Lets look at your first job, it says your employment ended May 26, 2023. So why in the world are you recording it as 42 full weeks when its roughly 9 months? if that is incorrect then your November 61 full weeks is also incorrect.

Your letters of employment should be followed to the T when calculating CEC. You clearly have a 3 months gap between your first and second employment. Fix that up, and the rest of the hours calculation should be fine. Just a tip, if on the day you receive the ITA you know you did not meet the requirement - best to skip that one.

Immigrant2412

Sep 2, 2024
Ok, I can already see an error in your calculations. Lets look at your first job, it says your employment ended May 26, 2023. So why in the world are you recording it as 42 full weeks when its roughly 9 months? if that is incorrect then your November 61 full weeks is also incorrect.

Your letters of employment should be followed to the T when calculating CEC. You clearly have a 3 months gap between your first and second employment. Fix that up, and the rest of the hours calculation should be fine. Just a tip, if on the day you receive the ITA you know you did not meet the requirement - best to skip that one.
Hello, could you please point the error out as I don't see it? From August 8, 2022 (Monday) to May 26, 2023 (Friday), it's 42 full weeks. I calculated each Monday to Friday as one full week. Some months have 5 weeks and the other months have 4.

Could you please also explain what do you mean by "followed to the T when calculating CEC"? I don't understand what needs to be fixed here - CEC allows for multiple jobs and I understand as long as my total hours meet the 1560x2 requirements (when each week counts <= 30) I will be good.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Apologies your calculation of 42 weeks as correct. I had to do it manually to make sure. Following it to the T means you have the employment records to indicate that you have the hours that you are claiming. Document proof. Again your safest bet is not to accept any invitation given before you secure the adequate work hours. They give you 60 days to accept and submit your application, but your eligibility was based on the exact day you got the invitation.

Immigrant2412

Sep 2, 2024
Apologies your calculation of 42 weeks as correct. I had to do it manually to make sure. Following it to the T means you have the employment records to indicate that you have the hours that you are claiming. Document proof. Again your safest bet is not to accept any invitation given before you secure the adequate work hours. They give you 60 days to accept and submit your application, but your eligibility was based on the exact day you got the invitation.
Thanks for your reply. The ideal case would be I accept the iTA after I actually gain the points but given all the discussions re immigration and politics I am afraid we can only take our best bet when we still have choice.