waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
July 31, 2014 COPR Received
LANDED..........
August 3, 2014
Hello everyone!

I am a Permanent Resident of Canada. I am not close to fulfilling the days lived in Canada requirement for citizenship yet but I am actively keeping track of it. My residence has always been and will always be IN Canada, but I take vacations from time to time. When calculating my time IN Canada, is it time as a resident (address) or total time that my physical being is inside Canada? In which case, do I have to deduct every vacation day I have ever taken since moving here to come up with the days IN Canada number?

Thanks everyone!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
JessNess said:
Hello everyone!

I am a Permanent Resident of Canada. I am not close to fulfilling the days lived in Canada requirement for citizenship yet but I am actively keeping track of it. My residence has always been and will always be IN Canada, but I take vacations from time to time. When calculating my time IN Canada, is it time as a resident (address) or total time that my physical being is inside Canada? In which case, do I have to deduct every vacation day I have ever taken since moving here to come up with the days IN Canada number?

Thanks everyone!
Hello,

Please use the following residence calculator to calculate your exact residency days for citizenship:

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

This will answer all your questions. Please also read the FAQs in the link for more information.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JessNess said:
Hello everyone!

Thanks everyone!
Of course you have to deduct your vacations days to arrive at 1095 (current), or 1460 (future). Only exception are same-day trips to the US.

bumblebear

Jan 5, 2016
Morning!

I was just denied citizenship due to errors on my physical presence record. Definitely use the calculator online - you can save it until you are ready to print the record. You have to use this and print from there for your application.

It also calculates correctly - it will count full days you are not in Canada. So, for example, one day trips where you leave on Monday at 8am and return on Tuesday at 7pm do not get added.

In addition to this - I suggest anyone that has a lot of travel to calculate you get a copy of your ICES Traveler History Report from the Canada Border Services Agency. I made a couple of typos and ended up being 5 days short. They do not double check your presence sheet until you have done the test, and go to interview. Trust me - this does not feel good. They will check your presence sheet against the ICES sheet. No one tells you ahead of time that this is how they double check what you claim - they also don't make it obvious that you can get this form yourself. They will also check passport stamps. I also recommend getting a copy of your I94 form from the USA border protection (something you can get online) as that will record your ground travel.

Then triple check it ;)

YYZINR

Nov 30, 2015
bumblebear said:
Morning!

I was just denied citizenship due to errors on my physical presence record. Definitely use the calculator online - you can save it until you are ready to print the record. You have to use this and print from there for your application.

It also calculates correctly - it will count full days you are not in Canada. So, for example, one day trips where you leave on Monday at 8am and return on Tuesday at 7pm do not get added.

In addition to this - I suggest anyone that has a lot of travel to calculate you get a copy of your ICES Traveler History Report from the Canada Border Services Agency. I made a couple of typos and ended up being 5 days short. They do not double check your presence sheet until you have done the test, and go to interview. Trust me - this does not feel good. They will check your presence sheet against the ICES sheet. No one tells you ahead of time that this is how they double check what you claim - they also don't make it obvious that you can get this form yourself. They will also check passport stamps. I also recommend getting a copy of your I94 form from the USA border protection (something you can get online) as that will record your ground travel.

Then triple check it ;)
Very Sorry to hear about your application bumblebear. Did they deny you after the test ? Were you 5 days short of the physical presence requirement or you missed to report to 5 days ? Thanks for the info about CBSA info. I'll pass this to fellow applicatns as well. Wish you good luck with your future application