+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Business trip whilst on maintained status

Matt_Berry

Feb 27, 2024
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently in Canada on maintained status. I applied for a new work permit in January (before my original permit expired). This permit has since expired and I'm awaiting a decision on my new permit.

I am required to travel to the US for a business trip with my work next week. I understand that if I do so I will lose the right to work on my return to Canada (assuming no decision has been made on my new work permit by then).

Does anyone know if there is any way around this? For example, could I travel to the US and make a fresh work permit application once I land back in Canada so achieve maintained status again?

Note - I have already submitted a request to the local MP to see if they can expedite IRCC's decision but this hasn't resulted in any movement yet.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Jun 17, 2024
Hey , Since you have some simillar situation like me , please let me know if you have any idea about following ? I just have one question regarding post graduation work permit will you able to help me ? My studies gonna complete on august 7 and my official transcript would be supposed to receive on September 7. So, in how much days I will receive my work permit according to your experience? After that how much time does it take to receive my TRV ? If I dont receive my work permit on time Is it okay to travel on Maintained status ? Moreover, I have TRV which gonna expire on 31 december 2024 , Is it okay to travel if my trv is expiring on 31st december and I am returning canada on 19th december ? I am confused because I think that border officer gonna ask me that If your TRV is expiring in 10 days then why you are going to canada? Can you explain me this please?