+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

British Passport Entering Canada w/ Canadian Citizen Certificate

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Tjam3 said:
can someone explain this - my British passport which under normal circumstances (i.e. tourist with no ties to Canada) let me enter Canada for up to 6 months without a visa - does this get trumped now by the fact that I am a citizen now and have different obligations when travelling/entering Canada? I am not living in Canada so the airline company should be OK no - I will be returning back and surely a British Passport will satisfy an airline company?

FWIW I will get a passport as soon as I arrive to Canada w/ priority processing as I will be there for a few weeks! I also have photos of my original PR card as well and my citizenship cermony and a picture wiht my cetificate/flag with the Citizenship Judge to establish further proof if required.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Tjam3 said:
can someone explain this - my British passport which under normal circumstances (i.e. tourist with no ties to Canada) let me enter Canada for up to 6 months without a visa - does this get trumped now by the fact that I am a citizen now and have different obligations when travelling/entering Canada? I am not living in Canada so the airline company should be OK no - I will be returning back and surely a British Passport will satisfy an airline company?

FWIW I will get a passport as soon as I arrive to Canada w/ priority processing as I will be there for a few weeks! I also have photos of my original PR card as well and my citizenship cermony and a picture wiht my cetificate/flag with the Citizenship Judge to establish further proof if required.
Nothing gets trumped. You are Canadian. You have the right to enter Canada whenever you want, but you have to prove it to CBSA. Will you be able to get on a plane to Canada with your UK passport? Probably, but then you are taking chances with CBSA that they will accept your other evidence of Canadian citizenship and let you in. They probably will, but no guarantees. On the other hand, if you just showed your UK passport--there is no guaranteed right to enter Canada and if you try that and they figure out you are Canadian in the inspection process, they very well may give you a more thorough security examination. Its up to you what you want to try.