Exempt
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
March 27th 2015
LANDED..........
April 4th 2015
hi guys and gals,
I will do my best to keep this short and sweet so bare with me.

I have been with my girlfriend since January 2012, we met back in 2008 and kept in touch over the years. I am British and live in the UK, She's Canadian and we want to settle down in Canada.

Whats the best route for us to take? From what I can see our only option is the Common Law visa, the only problem is that we need to live together for a year to qualify for it. I was thinking of entering Canada under the 1 year "experience" visa then get an extention on it. Then while I am there on the extention apply for the common law status?? I was hoping to move in Feb/March 2013 so what are my options?

If anyone can share there stories to be with a loved one it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

andyb2404 said:
hi guys and gals,
I will do my best to keep this short and sweet so bare with me.

I have been with my girlfriend since January 2012, we met back in 2008 and kept in touch over the years. I am British and live in the UK, She's Canadian and we want to settle down in Canada.

Whats the best route for us to take? From what I can see our only option is the Common Law visa, the only problem is that we need to live together for a year to qualify for it. I was thinking of entering Canada under the 1 year "experience" visa then get an extention on it. Then while I am there on the extention apply for the common law status?? I was hoping to move in Feb/March 2013 so what are my options?

If anyone can share there stories to be with a loved one it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Basically you outlined your options. Assuming that you get the ICE when it opens for 2013 and you qualify, then it should work.

Londonlady31

May 15, 2012
I agree with you there should be a Love visa, I have the same problem as you right now. I met my boyfriend 7 months ago in canada and we have been going back and forth to see each other.

You are allowed to go to Canada as a tourist fro up to 6 months as you are from the UK so that is what I am going to do for now as see what we can figure out whilst there, I just missed out on the working holiday visa by 6 months as I am already 31. If you find any loop holes let me know.

Jen

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
I totally agree , if you can validate your relationship ( i.e length of relationship, 'witnesses' etc.) that should count for something. I've been with my boyfriend for almost a year now, I've known him at least that long but it counts for peanuts essentially. We haven't lived together as we have been saving money to build a house. So in being fiscally smart, we are being penalized.
I realize that they are trying to protect individuals from being used to get a green card and protect Canadian security. But it's also keeping people separate from those they love or making at least more difficult. They should at least have a 'fiance/ fiancee ' visa. There's my two cents.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Why do so many people worry about living together for one year to prove commonlaw status? If they want to be together, surely it doesn't take that long to get married. Am I missing something here?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Pippin said:
Why do so many people worry about living together for one year to prove commonlaw status? If they want to be together, surely it doesn't take that long to get married. Am I missing something here?
Commitment?

andyb2404

Star Member
Jul 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London (kept in Mississauga)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2014
Doc's Request.
22-02-2015
AOR Received.
20-02-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
30-10-2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
March 27th 2015
LANDED..........
April 4th 2015
Londonlady31 said:
I agree with you there should be a Love visa, I have the same problem as you right now. I met my boyfriend 7 months ago in canada and we have been going back and forth to see each other.

You are allowed to go to Canada as a tourist fro up to 6 months as you are from the UK so that is what I am going to do for now as see what we can figure out whilst there, I just missed out on the working holiday visa by 6 months as I am already 31. If you find any loop holes let me know.

Jen
Its nice to know that others are in the same situation! I think I will have to apply for a working holiday visa then hope for an extension so we qualify for common law.
I understand 100% why the system is the way it is, but it's frustrating for those that are genuine.
I will keep you posted Jen on anything I find. If you find anything please let me know. :)

Thanks Andy

andyb2404

Star Member
Jul 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London (kept in Mississauga)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2014
Doc's Request.
22-02-2015
AOR Received.
20-02-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
30-10-2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
March 27th 2015
LANDED..........
April 4th 2015
blueangel371115 said:
I totally agree , if you can validate your relationship ( i.e length of relationship, 'witnesses' etc.) that should count for something. I've been with my boyfriend for almost a year now, I've known him at least that long but it counts for peanuts essentially. We haven't lived together as we have been saving money to build a house. So in being fiscally smart, we are being penalized.
I realize that they are trying to protect individuals from being used to get a green card and protect Canadian security. But it's also keeping people separate from those they love or making at least more difficult. They should at least have a 'fiance/ fiancee ' visa. There's my two cents.
I agree 100% I feel like the genuine people are penalised because of others scamming the system. I wish that as long as you can prove a relationship with reference etc then that should be enough.

Thanks for your input. I'm with you 100%

Andy