+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing USA Girlfriend to Canada Permenantly

krome

Sep 14, 2013
Hello,

I have read a bunch of information on the subject and methods and would like to present my current situation and look for some specific advice. I posted another thread here with regards to Visitors pass / extension but wanted to provide a more detailed post to see if there are other suggestions.

I have been dating a girl long distance for over a year now and we have decided we would like to move her to Canada (I live in Canada) and keep her here permanently if possible. We are looking to make the move at the end of this month.

I know she can apply for an extended visitors stay of 6 months maximum.

We are looking at how we can keep her in Canada for a period of one year, at which point I can apply for a common law sponsorship.

She has a Bachelors degree in Economics from a US university but she has not worked since completing her degree a few years ago. She also speaks English, Cantonese, and French.

We are considering a few options:

Having her complete a certification at a University here on a program that will be longer than one year. (If she applys for September 2014 and is approved, and then applys for a study permit, will she be able to move here immediately or be required to wait until September 2014?)

I also have a friend who is looking to hire somebody for a customer service position at his company. She speaks multiple languages and fits the role for the job. Is this a viable method of bringing her in as well? We could either have her here temporarily and then he would interview her and if she is the right fit he can hire her. Or he can I believe sponsor her as a potential hire while she is in the US? The job is customer service in an IT technical field.

Also, if she gets in on a 6 month visitor pass, I have read about people getting these extended as well? Is this a viable option and how likely is it that it would be extended.

Marriage is not an option at this time as we aren't looking to rush that aspect of our relationship for numerous reasons.

Could anybody provide from realistic advice please? Thank you.

If we have a 6 month stay, we need to somehow obtain an additional 6 months minimum so that I would be able to sponsor her as common-law as she will be living with me the entire time here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If she applies for a student visa for studies starting September 2014 - then she will be able to move to Canada a few weeks before her classes start.

Coming to Canada on a work permit is certainly one option. In addition to providing her with a job offer, her employer will have to obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion. As part of this process, the employer will have to prove the job was advertised and no Canadian could be found for the role (and for this reason a foreign worker had to be hired).

She could also come to Canada as a visitor for six months, and then as you've suggested, apply to extend her visit by another six months to meet the criteria for common law. She would apply for this extension from within Canada and chances of approval are quite high if you indicate that you are working towards common law and a PR application. Once you are common law, you can sponsor her for PR. While here as a visitor she won't be able to work or go to school.

krome

Sep 14, 2013
scylla said:
She could also come to Canada as a visitor for six months, and then as you've suggested, apply to extend her visit by another six months to meet the criteria for common law. She would apply for this extension from within Canada and chances of approval are quite high if you indicate that you are working towards common law and a PR application. Once you are common law, you can sponsor her for PR. While here as a visitor she won't be able to work or go to school.
Thank you. I think that is the route we will be going. Appreciate the response

mlea

Nov 16, 2009
Anyone who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident can sponsor an eligible family member to live in Canada as a permanent resident. As a permanent resident, they can live in Canada indefinitely, work, go to school, and receive other benefits such as health care.

Family members who can be sponsored include:
conjugal partner or fiancé, (in a romantic relationship with the sponsor but is unable to live with them due to circumstances outside their control such as sexual orientation or legal barriers)

Getting engaged is also an option, its not binding on either of you but allows you to sponsor her.

krome

Sep 14, 2013
I was under the impression that being engaged would only work if I was moving to the USA as Canada does not have an option to sponsor a fiance? I could be wrong. Thanks

mlea

Nov 16, 2009
hmmm, i believe that it does apply to canada too but falls under conjugal partner and i think you have to physically live together for a year before you can apply for conjugal, also its the hardest to prove. I think the absolute best way to have her here long term and legally is to get married while shes here on a visitor visa, you can get married in canada without a problem (she should have a return ticket to show at the border that she intends to return since she cannot legally say shes getting married and is going to stay, she can say she is getting married) and then choose if you want to apply inland or outland, outland is usually faster and gives you the right to appeal, inland takes longer (but she may stay while processing) and doesnt give you the ability to appeal should you be denied for any reason. If you have documentation to prove that the marriage is legit like phone bills, texts, money exchanging etc, this will prove legitimacy. Im not sure what the processing time is outland but mine took approx. 9 months from start to finish. I married my husband 2 days before going home and it all worked out with no problems at all, we have been together for almost 6 years...If it doesnt work out you can always get divorced :) how else will you know?